Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Godspell

Posted 10-25-2020 17:57
    Can anyone tell me the difference between Godspell and Godspell 2012? Many thanks!

---------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Theatre Director/Drama Instructor
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS

• 2.  RE: Godspell

Posted 10-26-2020 07:24
    All of the music is revamped--with lots of riffs added.  Also the gorgeous song "Beautiful City" is in the 2012.  I've done both and the 2012 version is better in my opinion--more current.

--
    Laura Russo
    Theatre Arts/English
    Chatham High School

This electronic communication, including any attachments, contains information from the School District of the Chathams (SDOC) that may be legally privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  This communication also may include content that was not originally generated by the SDOC or which may be copyrighted.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from all computers on which it may be stored.  This message does not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the SDOC or its members.  The individual who sent this message is solely responsible for its content.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance.

• 3.  RE: Godspell

Posted 10-27-2020 11:45
    I did the original in 2009. I like the script a whole lot better than the revised which I saw on Broadway. For an extra $27, we were allowed to add Beautiful City. I found the revised a little hokey with the mini trampolines & such.

Be prepared that Jesus has all the lines. The other members each have one song & very little dialogue.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

Georgia Stakes: 'Entire Country Should Be Watching This'
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f9840519384440510e98st02duc1
    Nation-Changing Cases Headed Barrett's Way
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f984051b353d40510e98st02duc2
    Saddam's 'Red Devil' Is Reportedly Dead
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f984051d3c0c40510e98st02duc3

• 4.  RE: Godspell

Posted 10-26-2020 07:46

I have directed both. Basically, the 2012 version is based on the Broadway revival. The harmonies and orchestrations are updated to a more contemporary sound and the song "Beautiful City", which was written for the film, is added. Also, the opening sequence, "Tower of Babble" has more contemporary quotes. Personally, I think the music in the 2012 is harder for students to learn.  Both soundtracks are on youtube. You should listen to both before deciding which you want to produce. Hope this is helpful. 

Mike

------------------------------
    Michael Mazur
    Head of School
    North Texas Performing Arts Academy
    Plano TX

• 5.  RE: Godspell

Posted 10-26-2020 08:33
    Musically, some big differences...  We just did Godspell 2012 in March of 2020.

All songs are reworked- much more rock and roll than the original- which has more of a folk treatment.  "Beautiful City" is not in the original- it does appear in the 2012 (and the movie).

All cultural references in the script are updated to 2012- there is an unfortunate reference to Donald Trump in 2012 that we chose to rework.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to reach out with more specific questions.

Michael

Michael Limone
    Carle Place NY

• 6.  RE: Godspell

Posted 10-26-2020 21:19
    Thank you all! Feedback helped

Karin Neal
    Theatre Director/Drama Instructor
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School