Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-29-2015 21:14

Hi all! I am planning to stage Alice in Wonderland" this year. I'm very excited. I am reading the many versions. I would love to know what version any of you have produced. I would like full length and large cast.

Andrea

------------------------------
    Andrea Gustafson

• 2.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-30-2015 07:15

we just staged ALICE this past spring to celebrate the 150th anniversary of its publication. I perused every version I could find and didn't really like any for various reasons. Since the book is in the public domain I decided to have the cast create our own adaptation. I also wanted a large cast and a script as close to Carroll as possible. I'd be happy to share it with you and discuss how we staged it which was also cool and a nod to Dodgson/Carroll's "day job" as a professor of mathematics. Just email me. Parkerronaldc@aasd.k12.wi.us

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 3.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-30-2015 09:15

I'd love to send you my version!  It incorporates movement,  lots of characters and a very involved ensemble.  Let me know where to send it.  I last produced it in 2005 and I am producing it again in the fall as well.  
    J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC

• 4.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-30-2015 09:54

Awesome! Thanks! 

agustafson@morrishs.org

Andrea Gustafson

• 5.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-31-2015 13:11

J. Michael,

I would be interested in seeing your version of "Alice." Please send to gbartell@ocsrams.org.

Thanks!

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 6.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-30-2015 09:19

A few years ago we did the Michele Vacca version, available at classicsonstage.com. It's a one hour version, give or take, that works well for the stage and is not technically demanding at all.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-30-2015 11:14

Hi Andrea,

When I wanted to do Alice, I read most of the adaptations out there and many scripts influenced by the text, but none of them met my desires for a good script that was faithful to the original for a large cast. So I adaptated it myself for a full length, large cast version. I produced it in 2009, and since it has been done in 3 states by friends and others through word of mouth. A one act version was done professionally too. 

I'd be happy to send you the script if you're interested. Let me know.

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director 
    Shoreline WA

• 8.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-30-2015 11:32

Last spring I staged the LeGallienne version. My spelling may be off. It went very well, though we did have a cast of 40+ and a tech team of about 15 running about. But no worries if that's an issue; it's fairly easy to double cast.

Jennifer Dieffenbacher
    Temecula CA

• 9.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-30-2015 17:49

I have directed the Manhattan Theatre Project version three or four times. I absolutely adore it for not being cutesy and for being very edgy. If you are going for cute, then pick the Eva LaGallienne version or another, but if you would like something that allows your more mature students to investigate more of the complexity of the story, the MTP (as under the direction of Andre Gregory) is the bomb.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN