Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-16-2018 10:35
    Greetings,

I have run into an unexpected issue.  We are doing a high school production of a Christmas Carol, and the tech students have worked hard to make the costumes as realistic as possible.  I told the students that since we are performing a "period piece" and their glasses are "contemporary looking" that they should try to perform, beginning dress rehearsal, without them.  

Suddenly, I have a parent or possibly parents (not sure since admin hasn't said) complaining.  One parent even sent me a message with a "history of eyeglasses", I promise you...I know how long eyeware has been available.

If a student absolutely needs their glasses they of course would be able to use them.  I performed for years without glasses (and no contacts) with extreme poor eyesight so it's not as though I do not understand.

This is my second year at the school, but my first year working on a large cast, period piece.

Are their any suggestions or advice for how I address this or do I just cave and have students in period clothes walking around with contemporary eyeware....

Tom Turner
    Drama Teacher
    BASIS Mesa

• 2.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-17-2018 08:44
    Honestly, I would just let them wear their glasses. As someone who is blind as a bat, I'd be extremely uncomfortable trying to perform without my glasses on. Unless their frames are chunky purple plastic, they shouldn't distract from the overall effect. In the future, though, sites like Firmoo and EyeBuyGlasses have inexpensive glasses that may be closer to what you'd want. It might be worth it to you to get the student a pair of inexpensive Rx glasses for the show.

------------------------------
    Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 3.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-18-2018 08:29
    This reminds me of other issues.

For example, all of the characters are being played by students between the ages of 14 and 18, right? Even though the characters range in age from 7 to 70? Does anyone watching actually think they are watching an "accurate historic recreation"? In part because of the age thing, I am comfortable with color blind casting. This does not work with all shows, since sometimes race is part of the story (see also: "Hairspray").

My point is that the suspension of disbelief that allows high school theatre to work is not undone by eyeglasses or Scrooge being black or Asian.

Let them wear glasses if they want, and I'm sorry you yourself were forced to perform with minimal vision.

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 4.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-17-2018 08:52
    As a costumer who is very proud of keeping things within period, I pride myself in acquiring small aspects such as glasses or time pieces ahead of production just in case.  However, also being a theatre teacher, I weigh which is more important - the show as a whole and having a happy cast and happy parents/guardians or being period perfect.  Happy cast/parents wins each time.  

If you have the time to fight the battle, great.  However, save those favors and relationships for when you are really in need.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO

• 5.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-17-2018 10:10
    If you felt that period specific eye ware was so important to the production, I would suggest this is the responsibility of the drama group to provide in advance so that they could be rehearsed with. To even request that someone go with out prescription glasses is not appropriate. It actually opens your school to a number of liabilities. It could also cause a number of health issues that have a negative side effects such as dizziness, headaches, and vertigo in many people. And it certainly works against any efforts to make a student performer feel their best and not self-conscious. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 6.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-18-2018 08:53
    Actually, this is how it would work in professional and many regional theaters: if the actor needs period eyewear, the production company, through the costume designer, would provide it. It's part of the character's wardrobe, aka costume.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 7.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-19-2018 08:32
    Help me out with this one. Are you saying that a professional theatre would provide the actor with period PRESCRIPTION glasses? If so, are you further suggesting that a high school do the same?

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 8.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-17-2018 14:27
    If you would like to see the scar on my foot where blind-as-a-bat Lysander stuck his broadsword through my foot, I'd be happy to show it to you.  Hilarity ensued as the poor young man, reeled back in horror as my foot started spurting blood and he stepped on my skirt allowing the audience to peruse my behind, as well as my be-blood.
    Please let the kid(s) wear their glasses.  (This was many years ago...we laugh about it still...Howard still owes me a dinner).

Janet Van Wess
    Theatre Arts Director
    Liberty High School - Troupe 6644
    Hillsboro, Oregon

• 9.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-17-2018 14:28
    I remind my students with eye glasses that they need contacts come show time, or they need to get a pair of period frames if it fits their character. I think the key here is giving them time to make an appointment for contacts if necessary or ordering the frames.  Zenni Optical online is an amazing resource. Their glasses are affordable (some are down right cheap), and they have lots of different styles that can fit into various periods. 

If you didn't discuss this with them with enough time to plan then you may have a problem implementing it for this production. In the future I would be sure to address this at casting. If you have a show contract you can even include wording in there regarding eyewear.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 10.  RE: HELP! Controversy About Eyeglass

Posted 12-20-2018 09:12
    Sometimes you just have to go with it.

My first production at my new school was the Crucible done as a period piece featuring a Deputy Governor Danforth in a powered wheelchair. The student had Muscular Dystrophy. No one commented on it and he did a great job. Would I have liked to have a Danforth that would have been more "period?" Sure, but it was worth it to me to be inclusive, welcoming, and empowering for that student.

Good luck in your decisions.

Bob

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA