Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  "Bring It On" Controversy

Posted 01-28-2020 10:12

Hi All,

I could sure use some help on this one: I am directing "Bring It On" with an all-female, diverse cast and crew from all over the country (and world.) When we first started the process, we talked about difficult language in the script and how we would handle it through discussions. Since then, and especially in the past few weeks, there has been a protest of sorts about the inherent stereotypes, situations, and language in the script and music. It has deeply affected some of our students of color especially. While I have some support with a new Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, I feel I am ill equipped and don't know how to fix the situation so that we can move forward with the production. I am hearing that the students want to do the production, but at the same time, they are making it almost impossible. We have had several discussions recently on how to deepen the analysis of the characters so that they are more complex, prepare for talk backs, as well as creating a lobby design to put the language and situations in context. To make matters worse, I feel that much of their displaced anger and hurt is directed toward me! I have reached out to the writers of the production on social media, but don't know where else to turn. I am hoping you all, my compatriots, have some sage advice to offer.

------------------------------
    Jennifer Jordan
    Lenox MA

• 2.  RE: "Bring It On" Controversy

Posted 01-29-2020 10:21

Good morning, Jennifer!

I have some questions that might inform the response or advice you might receive. If you don't mind taking the time, it might help.

1. What age are the students with whom you're working?
    2. Did you secure permission to change the casting for she show? (I've not heard of an all-female version and, one could argue that it certainly changes some of the plot points of the story.)
    3. At what type of school do you work? (I could understand some of the push back if you are at an private religious school, for example).

These answers might make a difference in how people would advise you.

Suzanne Maguire

Glover M.S. CCLR

Associate Director, Tiger Drama

Assistant Coach, Speech & Debate

509-354-5687

Lewis & Clark High School

• 3.  RE: "Bring It On" Controversy

Posted 01-29-2020 10:35
    Thank you, Suzanne!

1. They are high-school aged girls - 14-19 yrs old
    2. Yes
    3. We are a small, diverse, private boarding and day school in Western MA. I would say that we are pretty liberal but thoughtful about content and curriculum in all aspects of our school.

--
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater & Dance
    Day Student Advisor
    Junior Class Advisor
    Miss Hall's School
    413-395-7023

• 4.  RE: "Bring It On" Controversy

Posted 01-30-2020 09:16
    I have found that being transparent in all of this is necessary. Find a way to have them discuss it, without feeling bias or prejudice, freely. Then, together, figure out a way that you all can do the production while teaching at the same time. Obviously, altering the language can't be done. But, if you have a discussion with them, and help them know that this can be a teaching tool for others, it might help. If they feel like they are part of the solution and are able to air their grievances, then usually they get on board quickly.
    I did a production of Footloose last year. Very few guys wanted to be Chuck Cranston, mainly because of what was required of the role with Ariel and her friends. I had MANY discussions with the cast, before and during the production, and we actually turned it into a community wide event on domestic violence. The student who played Chuck and the one who played Ariel were incredibly mature and understood that what they were doing was actually sending a message. In addition, the students realized that Ren, Wes, the Reverend and inevitably the whole town was under something similar. That sparked discussion among our drama students and the community, and helped them to be advocates in something so people wouldn't complain. 
    I hope that helps.

Karen Wiebe
    Drama Director
    Burlington KY

• 5.  RE: "Bring It On" Controversy

Posted 01-31-2020 10:19
    Hello, Jennifer!

Congrats on taking on such a challenging show.  I am genuinely curious as to what your students found troubling or objectionable.  I saw this show about 5 times when it premiered in Atlanta (a former student was in it!), and I found it to be very thoughtful in it's portrayals of this wide range of students.  Not to mention the fact that none other than Lin-Manuel Miranda himself had a hand in it - and cultural sensitivity is one of the hallmarks of his work.

I teach at a private Catholic school, and we have a lot of struggles with content, so I'm really curious to see how others respond to this post.  Thanks for taking on the hard work!

Eric McNaughton

Eric McNaughton
    Theatre Director
    Marist School
    AtlantaGA
    mcnaughtone@marist.com

• 6.  RE: "Bring It On" Controversy

Posted 02-03-2020 08:59
    Thank you, All! An update and perhaps more information on the specific concerns. At this point, we have an Ensemble task force which is comprised of about 11 members of our cast and crew and three adults. We are looking at ways to place the show in context by a thoughtful lobby design and talk-back with the actors and crew at the end of each performance. We are also in discussion about lines. An MTI rep contacted me (Thank you, Brian!) to see how they could support as well. While we know we cannot change any lines without specific permission from the writers, we are trying to find ways to present the more cringe-worthy lines in context of when and why they were written.

Many of our students feel that the stereotypes involved are offensive: There are lines referring to the Jackson students of color, as well as the set up of the "bad, scary" school, that have my group upset. Along with that, they feel that the character of Campbell is the "white savior" who swoops in to save the day but actually ends up lying and betraying her new friends. Although this is pointed out in the show, my girls feel that Danielle forgiving her is not justified in the script. What happened to Danielle wanting to go to college? Does she give up work to train? One of my Stage Managers pointed out that Campbell sings about the depth of the cheerleaders "they get mani-pedis but their made of muscle...", in a way that is not written or shown for the Jackson characters. Then, I have a white student playing Twig, who everyone believes is a Dude of color. He refers to others as "Brothers" in one of his raps. That student is very anxious about playing that role as a white actor, and has gotten push back from our students of color outside the Ensemble. The cast feels that this character (like many of them) should be listed explicitly as a person of color in the character breakdown. Then there is La Cienega. She is played by an African-American female student. As a cisgender woman, she has been very thoughtful about how she is going to play her. Portraying a transgender woman is challenging enough, but she is not struggling with the character's identity as much as playing a stereotypical, black woman who plays the kind of "Mamma Bear" to the younger, inexperienced Bridget. The language, which includes a lot of "Honey Childs" is not only dated, but people just generally don't talk like that. Finally, the actor who plays Eva, is a black student who is struggling with the lines, "That's so street" and "...people like you..." referring to the Jackson Team.

These are only a FEW specific examples of the challenging moments and issues inherent in the script. We are also struggling with the body shaming of Bridget countered by the stereotype of a "bigger booty" embraced by the Jackson kids. To put some of this in context, we are a school that cultivates voice and leadership. Well, these girls have definitely spoken out! This is also part of a larger national issue about race that has exploded in the last several years--But, that is a longer discussion for another time. I have definitely lost some weight and sleep on this one...

Thank you All, again for your wise words and support.

Jennifer Jordan
    Lenox MA