Open Forum

View Only

Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

• 1.  Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-02-2018 14:50
    This may be too tall of an order, but I'm looking for a large cast straight play that both middle and high school students could be in (our HS is in a rebuilding phase and we're tying to create a MS feeder program). Like most of you, we have mostly females and a handful of young, smaller males. I'm trying to avoid the typical hokey MS play, but I'm struggling to find plays that meet all this criteria without being kinda lame. Ideas??

------------------------------
    Maralie Medlin
    Theatre Arts Educator
    Gastonia, NC

• 2.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 03:31
    Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon and The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr (Abridged) can be adapted to suit a flexible ensemble size. Also check out Theatrefolk - Lindsay Price has some great pieces. We did Agatha Rex one year, it has an ensemble that functions as a Greek chorus and can be as large or small as you have actors for.

Grace Hudkins
    Theatre Operations & Production Manager
    Incheon

• 3.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 08:41
    Last year we did Miracle on 34th Street-its just like the original movie/book. There's roles for 30 plus an ensemble is needed. The leads include adults and children. It may be a nice idea for a Ms/hs production. we paired it with a santa and elf meet and greet where kids wrote letters to santa, took pictures and decorated cookies. The kids, community and administration loved it.

Cori Bott
    Drama advisor JMHS
    Jackson NJ

• 4.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 14:02
    I should add: we are a Christian school, so the content has to be carefully selected as not to offend anyone's more conservative practices.

Maralie Medlin
    Theatre Arts Educator
    Gastonia, NC

• 5.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 16:22
    Our Town 
    You Can't Take It with You
    A Christmas Carol (I have an adaptation if you are interested)

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 6.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-04-2018 11:27
    Jim, I’d be interested in perusing your adaptation of “A Christmas Carol” if you could share?

Thanks,
    Wayne Kischer

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 16:34
    Peter Pan is well suited to a large female heavy cast.  You can make the lost boys female and any extra cast members can be Pirates and Indians and participate in the big fight scene.  

We did this a few years ago and dealt with the flying by having fellow cast members pick up the flying actors and move them around. Also in that production all of the lost "boys" were female.  We played it as if the children were doing make believe in their room and moved the beds together and apart to create the Pirate ship, Lost Boy village, and the Island.  It worked and was well received by our audience.

Andrew Kidd
    Teacher
    Chiefland, FL

• 8.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 16:46
    Stage Door
    PlayOn!
    The Iliad and the Odyssey in 99 Minutes or Less

--
    Lynn Quinn

• 9.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 19:49
    How large is large?  Does it need to have an ensemble/expandable cast?

I'd second Peter Pan and A Christmas Carol.  I did both when I taught in a 6-12th school.  We also did the musical Wizard of Oz, but there are also non-musical versions.  

Another expandable show that might work is To See the Stars by Cynthia Mercati, about the shirtwaist factory strikers.  

One I haven't done, but springs to mind for having a range of younger and older kids and adults is Orphan Trains (Playscripts) or Orphan Train (Sam French)  - 2 different plays, same topic.  

Quite a random selection, I realize!  I loved directing the wide age range, and seeing the students interact - enjoy the experience!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 10.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-03-2018 20:53
    Oops, and The Orphan Train, Dramatic Publishing!  3 options!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 11.  RE: Large Cast, Non-musical, MS + HS

Posted 09-04-2018 16:47

"You can't take it with you." and A Midsummer Nights Dream.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School