Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  favorite activities that use music?

Posted 01-23-2018 12:08
    What are your favorite activities, games. and/or assignments that use music? I have a class that really loves anything that uses music but they struggle to engage in other things so I'm looking for some fun new ideas. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Fort Stockton, TX

• 2.  RE: favorite activities that use music?

Posted 01-23-2018 15:39
    I have a mask based physicality exercise that uses it. Choose a piece of music and assign a character archetype to each person (I usually have the kids pick a paper from a hat with this). After a few minutes to think about it the I have the kids get up one at a time, hand them a white blank mask so that facials aren't available to help, turn on the music and give them about 60-90 seconds to create fully realized character physicality. After it is over the kids verbally reflect on what they thought the character was, what led to that decision, what worked, what didn't and where there was confusion. Because there are no verbal or facials to help it really forces them to focus on the physical choices.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: favorite activities that use music?

Posted 01-25-2018 13:55
    I taught a very comprehensive movement unit that employed a lot of music. Students learned how to create shapes (curves and angles) and fill up negative (empty) space. They would explore creating shapes on their own to specific music, then move on to pair work, also using specific music. Their final was a paired activity to a set piece of music I provided (can you imagine 15 or so individual pieces of music all going off at once??) that explored a theme they chose.
    I never called the unit "dance," but there was considerable creative choreography. the kids eally got into it.

Email me if you're interested in learning more. I'm happy to share the unit.

Cheers!
    Nancy L. Bernhard
    retired teacher
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA
    jheyer999@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: favorite activities that use music?

Posted 01-26-2018 08:44
    Hello, 

Could I get in on that share as well?  I, too, look for movement activities that helps the students create stage pictures and develop their characters physically.

Thanks,
    KM

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX