Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ethnic role

Posted 03-13-2019 11:52
    In the play Who Walks in the Dark, a character is supposed to be an Egyptian servant circa 1900 in an upperclass household in England. We have cast a rosy cheeked blonde boy in the role. How can we make him look the role more authentically other than costume?  We certainly don't want to darken his skin.   Thoughts?
    --

Karen L. Fairbank
    Director of College Counseling and Student Activities
    Chair, Social Studies Department

T H O M A S   J E F F E R S O N   S C H O O L

4100 S. Lindbergh Blvd.

St. Louis, MO  63127

Tel:   +1 314.635-2360

Fax:  +1 314.843.3527

• 2.  RE: Ethnic role

Posted 03-14-2019 07:37
    I don't think there's really anyway to do that without being problematic. You cast the boy you cast, so I would say you need to embrace it. Doing anything to alter his appearance outside of the norm (styling hair to suit a time period, costuming, etc.) could potentially send the wrong message. I will never forget when I performed in The Good Person of Szechwan as a white eighteen-year old and my director told me to make my eyeliner more angular and to wear a darker foundation. This was in 2013 so not all that long ago, but that's not the kind of lasting memory any educator/director should want to create. My rule of thumb is if I don't have a student of color for a role that requires an actor of color, then I'll reevaluate my show selection--of course you're not really in the place to do that but I would proceed very carefully with this idea of making someone appear closer to an ethnicity that they could not be further from. All the best to you and your show! Remember this is about teaching as much as it is about the art!

------------------------------
    Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE
    ------------------------------