Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Small Cast Musicals

Posted 04-24-2019 17:09
    I'm looking for a small cast musical featuring a strong, baritone lead.  I have a confident mezzo soprano with a strong voice and several other very quiet mezzos who may not have the confidence to sing a solo.

Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Lisa Crew

• 2.  RE: Small Cast Musicals

Posted 04-25-2019 02:14
    If I could do a small cast musical, I would do She Loves Me. So charming with great songs. We can't do something this small, but it would be a great show for a talented small cast.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 3.  RE: Small Cast Musicals

Posted 04-29-2019 14:06
    Hello Lisa - 

Two, fun small cast musicals are Something's Afoot, a murder mystery musical that spoofs detective stories, mainly the works of Agatha Christie, and especially her detective novel And Then There Were None.  - Ten character's (evenly divided)... There's also Dames At Sea, a parody of Busby Berkeley musicals where a newly arrived chorus girl steps into a leading role and becomes a star - It was originally done off-Broadway with a cast of 7 and made Bernadette Peters a star.  I did the show at a community theater where we added a chorus to support the bigger musical numbers.  

Good Luck

Don Keith
    Set Designer | Partner
    The KEILIN Group | KL two
    300 north pottstown pike, suite 140
    exton, PA 19341
    o: 610.873.2506
    www.keilingroup.com
    www.kltwo.com
    don@keilingroup.com

• 4.  RE: Small Cast Musicals

Posted 04-25-2019 09:34
    My favorite small cast musical that I have directed was CLUE the MUSICAL!! It was an audience interactive play with several endings depending of the cards the audience members drew! SOOO FUN!! The music is challenging, but it certainly grew on us! 
    Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre & Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    3901 Granny White Pike
    Nashville, TN. 37204
    615-966-6465

• 5.  RE: Small Cast Musicals

Posted 04-25-2019 10:05
    The Fantasticks. What baritone doesn't want to sing Try to Remember. One note, you need the pianist from the very beginning. The music is intricately built into the play, acting as underscoring as well as accompaniment.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 6.  RE: Small Cast Musicals

Posted 04-26-2019 13:23
    The Fantasticks might work for you.  MTI has the rights.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 7.  RE: Small Cast Musicals

Posted 05-01-2019 13:49
    I just did Once Upon A Mattress and cut some little characters and made different tracks for some so it was even less. Did it with a cast of 12. Worked really well.
    Not great singers...only need one for Winnifred and a light soprano would work for Larkin.

Anthony
    Fort Lauderdale FL