Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  'How To Produce Shakespeare' question

Posted 08-13-2018 13:18
    First off, is there a need for a book on this subject? I'm mulling over whether to write one. It would focus on how to produce Shakespeare for high school/middle school, how to simplify certain choices, how to edit a text down to a desirable length, and how to approach the idea of 'accessibility.'

If such a book was in demand, what other areas would you want it to address? 

As always, I thank you for your measured and awesome responses!

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Chapter Director, Ontario Thespians

Etobicoke ON

• 2.  RE: 'How To Produce Shakespeare' question

Posted 08-13-2018 13:26
    I might add a section on addressing "Shakesfear" with students and/or parents. Students especially have a lot of preconceived ideas about Shakespeare. I've found students to be particularly wary of the Bard, and sometimes not even audition because of it. Of course, in the end, everyone has a blast, but getting over that initial fear can be a trial.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: 'How To Produce Shakespeare' question

Posted 08-14-2018 07:38
    Have you heard of Ken Ludwig's How To Teach Your Child Shakespeare -
    http://www.howtoteachyourchildrenshakespeare.com? I'd consider it more of a guide than a textbook, but it's an enormously satisfying read. 

Abbie 

• 4.  RE: 'How To Produce Shakespeare' question

Posted 08-15-2018 08:14
    Hey, Abbie!

I adore Ken's book, I use it to teach my own children (and had I found it before I left Ruskin, would likely be using it in the classroom, too!)

My plans for the book are more to do with other practical aspects...though I would be referencing things like Ludwig's book and others in terms of approaches to making Shakespeare accessible etc. Great suggestion, if anyone else hasn't read it yet, you should!

Phillip Goodchild
    Chapter Director, Ontario Thespians

Etobicoke ON

• 5.  RE: 'How To Produce Shakespeare' question

Posted 08-15-2018 09:05
    I second this.  I use How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare as the guiding text in my Shakespeare class with great result.  It is also fun to read on its own!
    Josh Belk

Director of Theatre
    Bear Necessity Theatre Company
    at Palmer Ridge High School
    (719) 867 8102

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.

• 6.  RE: 'How To Produce Shakespeare' question

Posted 08-30-2018 16:59
    Phillip, write your boo because I want to buy your book.

For me, the biggest challenge with kids and Shakespeare is to get them to understand that--elevated poetry or no elevated poetry--the actor's job is to honestly play a character with a problem.  I go to great lengths comically demonstrating the "SHAKESPEARE VOICE!"  You know the one, the IMPORTANT SPEECH-Y VOICE that those not in the know assume Shakespeare must be spoken in (even when the character is in the midst of heartbreaking crisis) and encouraging my 8th graders to avoid this pitfall.  

If you could infuse this spirit in a book, I think it would be worth reading.

P.s. One thing that helps combat this is a deep understanding of what's going on with the character in the moment, which, in turn, requires a deep understanding of the story--there aren't shortcuts.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI