Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  how to pick the plays

Posted 05-13-2016 17:35

I am currently an elementary theatre teacher but I might be reassigned in my district to a secondary position. I have taught both middle and high school in the past but years ago. Can I get some suggestions on possible plays-straight and musical--to read over the summer that would be good pick regardless of where I end up. In other words, it may not be until the last minute that I know which grade level, the involvement, the talent, the program, the support or the facilities. However, I still want to have a plan before school starts. Too much to ask?

------------------------------
    Deborah Kemp
    Tujunga CA

• 2.  RE: how to pick the plays

Posted 05-19-2016 21:20

hello Deborah,

If I were you, the first thing I might do is assess my community as to what they would expect in the nature of plays.  What types of plays have they done in the past?  If it was the old chestnuts and classics, you are probably safer to stay with something similar.  If they were edgy, what is your comfort level with that type of material?  Were there several productions or only one or two?  Were they big or small?  Knowing that information will help to guide your reading so you have an arsenal of material. 

That being said, my two all time favorite plays are Curious Savage and Almost Maine.  Two smaller plays that could get your reading list started.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH