Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  9 to 5 the Musical

Posted 03-20-2017 17:14
    I love 9 to 5 the Musical and I have the perfect cast. My only qualm is the scene of drink-and-weed-induced courage/dream sequence. Anyone successfully massaged this for high school? Tips? Comments?

• 2.  RE: 9 to 5 the Musical

Posted 03-21-2017 09:30
    I saw the show at a local high school.  I can't remember exactly what they did, but I believe they just did it as if the girls were just fantasizing, without being drunk and high.  I believe they were just hanging out, talking about the boss.  The fantasies still come off as funny, without being fueled by substance!  Good luck!

------------------------------
    Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 3.  RE: 9 to 5 the Musical

Posted 03-25-2017 20:01
    When I chose the show my principal didn't care about the pot scene. Then about a month to the show he said I couldn't do it. Here is what I did. In the scene with her son in the garage, he doesn't say pot, he just says mom you need to"relax" with the emphasis on the word. It was clear to the audience and went right over the kids heads. At work with her purse, she doesn't take anything out to show them. She just shows them something in her purse. They don't ever say the word pot. In the actual pot scene they just laughed a lot, are much is foods including a can of whipped cream. The audience totally understood that they were high, we just never actually said it.

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: 9 to 5 the Musical

Posted 03-27-2017 10:34
    Brilliant, Carolyn! May I steal your work-around?!

• 5.  RE: 9 to 5 the Musical

Posted 03-27-2017 13:25
    I did the same as Carolyn when we produced it a few years ago. Suggest the high without saying/showing it. :)

Jennifer Farrell Dinndorf
    Chapter Director, MN Thespians
    English and Theater Teacher
    Chaska High School
    Chaska, MN

• 6.  RE: 9 to 5 the Musical

Posted 03-28-2017 09:26
    We did "9 to 5" last year in my  all girls high school. We had Josh take the joint (rolled up paper) out of his jeans to show Mom, but that was the last time the audience saw it. It was only suggested by the time we get to the girls "party" scene. I think I like it better this way, since it takes the focus off the pot and puts it on the bonding and uniting of the three women. There were also certain lines and moments with Hart that were not as offensive because of the girl who was playing the role. I think this is always the case with casting. I did tweak a few words in Harts' song here and there just so it wouldn't be as offensive to some ears.

Have fun!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA