Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Large Group Musical Numbers

Posted 10-24-2017 11:51
    I want to start planning our (first!!) Broadway cabaret for the end of the year and wonder if any of you have any suggestions for large group musical numbers that don't require a ton of dancing. We're currently working on "Made in America" from Bonnie & Clyde for our competition. We tried "Forget About the Boy" from Thoroughly Modern Millie, but that fell through after half of the girls realized there was a ton of tapping in it. I'm thinking "Freak Flag" from Shrek as a possibility, but I'd like a few more choices.

My class is 17 Females (2 Sopranos, 7 Mezzos, 6 Altos & 2 Tenors) and 8 Males (2 Altos, 3 Tenors, 2 Baritones & 1 Bass). Not all are the strongest singers, so I'm trying to avoid a lot of little character solos. I have about 8 strong female singers and 3 strong male singers. Same with dancing. I have about the same number of strong female dancers. Only 1 or 2 strong male dancers.

So! Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Large Group Musical Numbers

Posted 10-25-2017 10:55
    Be careful with cabarets or revues! As numerous posters have said, if there's any kind of costumes or choreography, you'll need to talk to the rightsholders and your school's ASCAP license won't cover it.

Becca Lillias

• 3.  RE: Large Group Musical Numbers

Posted 10-25-2017 15:13
    100% agree with Rebecca. Be careful with copyright! But, pending no problems on that issue, I'm not a huge 13 fan but "Brand New You" works great for concerts and cabarets. RSO's "The Ballad of Sara Berry" or even "Living Dead" are absolute showstoppers. (You need to have major pipes to land either of those numbers though. The sheet music's all here.) Also: "All Girl Band" from A . . . My Name is Alice if you're planning on letting the girls have a break-out number (and then turn around and consider "Some Kinda Time" from Dogfight for the boys). I can't find the sheet music anywhere, but Gaby Atler's "21" is hilarious and unbelievably catchy. (Maybe just ask him?)

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Large Group Musical Numbers

Posted 10-25-2017 23:05
    You might look at "Show People" from Curtains.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA