Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ITF Chaperone requirements

Posted 01-31-2019 15:41
    ITF newbie here.  I have a couple of questions regarding ITF chaperone requirements and cannot find the answer anywhere on the page, nor can I find a direct contact email or number. 

I have one female student who is a current junior and plans to audition while at ITF.  I want to encourage other students to attend, but my concern is the same sex requirement for chaperones (female delegates must have female chaperones and male delegates have male chaperones).  Not a problem for my junior since I'm also female. I'd like to bring one of my other troupe members who happens to be male.  He also happens to be my son.  According to the FAQ regarding students attending without a troupe director, "have your parent or delegated guardian chaperone you to the event".  It does not specify that the parent has to be the same sex.  So my first question is if I am only bringing my female junior student and my male son, do I need to have a male chaperone attend as well?

If the answer to the above is yes, what is the minimum requirement for a male chaperone (age, education, etc.)?  My older son is 21 and in college and would probably love to attend ITF.  Would he be allowed to serve as a male chaperone?  Are there any other requirements for non-troupe director chaperones that I should be aware of?

Thank you and I hope to meet many of you this summer!

------------------------------
    Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA

• 2.  RE: ITF Chaperone requirements

Posted 01-31-2019 20:41
    Check around and see who else is taking students.  Oregon teachers often share duties with each other - a male director will be my male chaperone, and I will be his female chaperone.

The reason for the rule is that at ITF no one of the opposite sex is allowed on the dorm floor - chaperones included - so a female chaperone cannot do bed checks for her male students.  The requirement is that all directors do bed checks, then text their dorm captain that everyone is present and accounted for, which you can't do for a male student.  But if another school with a male chaperone is attending, they can adopt your boy for bed checks and then you're all good.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: ITF Chaperone requirements

Posted 02-01-2019 10:54
    Another male chaperon on the floor your son is assigned will check in with him. The floor captain will make sure that any students who don't have a chaperon staying with them get adopted by another chaperon on the floor.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA