Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Addams Family - Vocal Challenges

Posted 11-16-2016 08:37
    I am at Benito Juarez in Chicago, a CPS school.  We have only had drama program for about 5 years.  We have a great facility so I have no concerns about do Addams technically.  
    Last year we did our first musical Charlie Brown and considering that most of our students could not read music it turned out well.  We were planning on doing OZ this year becasue I know I could find 1 good female singer and the rest of the singing parts are not demanding.
    I have watched Addams clips online and looked at the extremely helpful discussion threads.  
    So my questions is how demanding have you found the singing to be for untrained singers.  I have an excellent vocal director to help me. 
    Compared to Oz how would you rate Addams?  We would be using Show|Ready or Stage|Tracks

Thanks for your advice,
    Vince Pinelli
    Thespian Troupe 8144
    ------------------------------
    Vince Pinelli
    Theatre Director
    Chicago IL

• 2.  RE: Addams Family - Vocal Challenges

Posted 11-17-2016 10:20

We did Addams last year and had a mix of trained and less-trained singers in it. I found it challenging even for some of our trained singers because- particularly for the females- it requires a strong belt/mix. If you have the right kid come along, it's certainly doable! But my experience was that singers who aren't confident or who are still finding their voices may struggle. 

Lindsay Hearn Brustein
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School
    Austin TX