Open Forum

View Only

Basics of Backstage Etiquette

• 1.  Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-04-2019 17:02
    I help manage a 1000 seat theatre in a very small, rural school district. I have found that because the district has no formal theatre education program that most of the students and teachers that enter the theatre have no clue as to how they should handle themselves when in the theatre. I have thought about putting together a small brochure, pamphlet, or something to educate them on proper theatre etiquette as it pertains to performers and tech folks. I also want to include some interesting facts and traditions in the theatre, such as "Why do we have a ghost light?", "Why do we say 'break a leg'", Why don't we say H****t in the theatre?" along with more practical things like why we don't stand in the wings, drink coffee on the stage, etc.

I have looked around and not found a book or website with these basics. I would love some help in the form of:
    1. Any suggestions for where to find this information
    or 2. Your own thoughts and anecdotes about these things!

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks

------------------------------
    Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 2.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 07:32
    Check out Ludlam Dramatics - they've already made a bunch of posters with a lot of the info you have in mind.  Very affordable, too.

• 3.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 08:29
    Thank, I will check them out!

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 4.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 07:44
      |   view attached
    I found this somewhere online and edited it to fit our circumstances.  I hung this on our call-board in our backstage area for the kiddos to read between scenes/when they had a moment.  Hope this helps!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

Attachment(s)

docx
    Code of Ethics.docx   17 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 08:30
    Thanks Amber, That has some good info in it. I will be sure to use some of that as it applies to our situation!

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 6.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 09:13

How funny. I was just working on a blog this week dealing with etiquette and theatre "superstitions." I love the Code of Ethics idea submitted by Amber by the way. ​I was working on more of an article (pamphlet-to-be) that could be handed out to both teachers and students. I'm hoping to finish it this week.

I think every theater, including some "professional" ones that I've attended recently could use something like this.

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 7.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 13:21
    That sounds great! Hope you will share the completed post with us.

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 8.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 11:44
    Ken,

We recently ran an article on Dramatics.org about popular theatre superstitions. You'll find origin stories for some of your questions (e.g., why theatre people say "break a leg," why we don't say the title for The Scottish Play in a theatre, and why theatres always leave a ghost light shining) in the story.

You can find the story online: Origins of Theatre Superstitions - Dramatics Magazine
    Dramatics Magazine Online remove preview
    Origins of Theatre Superstitions - Dramatics Magazine
    From "break a leg" to "The Scottish Play," we investigate some of the most well-known theatre superstitions and the multiple theories behind them.
    View this on Dramatics Magazine Online >

Christa Skiles
    Managing Editor
    Digital Publications
    Educational Theatre Association

• 9.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 13:24
    That's great. Thanks!

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 10.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 12:23
    I think you mean we don't say Macbeth in the Theatre. It is notorious for bringing a curse to any production performing in a theatre. Just saying it in a theatre could mean disaster for a show. I think Norrie Epstein's The Friendly Shakespeare details numerous mishaps and unfortunate events surrounding different productions. Maybe the most infamous was Orson Welles' Voodoo Macbeth. Legend has it there were actual voodoo practitioners in the cast. Apparently 5 goats were sacrificed? They also received a poor review from a critic. He passed away shortly after publishing his review. Rumor has it much chanting was heard coming from their theatre the night the cast read the review...

I've heard two versions for why we say, "Break a leg."

1) The typical bow back in the day meant stepping froward with one leg and keeping it straight while bending the back leg behind you. The more the audience applauds, the lower you must bow, thus bending your back leg to the point where your front leg breaks.

2) Another name for the curtain is "leg." The more the audience applauds at the curtain call, the more times the curtain (leg) must rise and fall for the performers. If it rises and falls enough, it may break.

• 11.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 13:20
    Rob, 

You are absolutely right! I had a complete brain fart after a mush too long day! Thanks for the info!

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 12.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 13:50
    I assigned my Theater Arts I students a project:  they had to research appropriate theater behavior and theater "superstitions"  After that, they wrote brief (1-2 minute) scripts a la Public Service Announcements to convey those messages.  We recorded them and played them during March's TIOS over our AM announcements and/or during our tutoring periods.  That seemed to help; however, device use and staying in one's seat until between scenes is still an issue.  
    Thanks,

Mrs. Dorothea Hackett, M.Ed.
    National Board Certified Teacher
    PTAC Member
    English/French/Theater Arts
    9-12 English Department Chair
    International Thespian Society 6949 Sponsor
    DuBois Area Senior High School
    425 Orient Avenue
    DuBois, PA  15801
    814-371-8111 x3137
    or

• 13.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 14:13
      |   view attached
    My situations are a little different, but I can relate. Most kids at my rural K-12 school are new to any theatre experience when they audition for their first show. Most have never even attended a show outside of the ones I produce here at school at this point. Because of this, I treat it as a priority to teach theatre etiquette and theatre appreciation in conjunction with our 6-12 club's social events, shows, and other yearly activities.  

As the director, I'm only able to be in so many places at once (oh if cloning was possible!), and our backstage is an old abandoned school building hallway, full of plenty of mischief that the students can get into. I am constantly having issues with performers "playing around" backstage during rehearsal.  The worse is when they come out on stage with random props or costume pieces they have grabbed out of storage, to try to make their blocking moments more entertaining. Not entertaining...at all...in fact, this brings out the worse in me.  So, I have started making students (cast and crew members) sign a production membership contract at the beginning of every season, threatening them dearly with my expectations. Parents also sign this contract. 

As for the audience, usually when we perform for our elementary, I do a brief welcome before the shows myself, covering much of what you were hinting at, plus stage directions (I don't know my normal left from right, so this is even challenging still for me!).  Plus, many ELA standards cover the drama genre, (I know 4th grade for sure) so this is a great teaching moment for me to try to help out with those state standards.

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

Attachment(s)

• 14.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 14:47
    Theatre etiquette and theatre safety go hand in hand.  I'm attaching three examples of theatre etiquette lists that I address in the High School Theatre Operations and the High School Theatre Safety Manual books.  Of course each theatre is different, so you're welcome to copy and/or adjust these lists to your situation.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Educational Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

www.PRESETT.org
    - HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS BOOKS and COMPLIMENTARY ARTICLE DOWNLOADS (http://www.presett.org/helpful-books.html)
    - LIGHTING INSTITUTE FOR THEATRE TEACHERS - ONLINE MINI COURSES (ask for complimentary syllabus)
    - HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS ONLINE COURSE FOR TEACHERS (ask for complimentary syllabus)
    - THE ECLECTECH SHOPPE (http://www.presett.org/eclectech.html)

beth@PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 15.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 15:07
    Thanks for posting! That will be very helpful.

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 16.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 16:04
    I love the idea of your book. 
    Here's one of many interpretations about "Break A Leg"- generally offered as a statement of good will to a performer, rather than using the words "good luck" which superstitions suggest will boomerang.
    In the old Hemp houses-the theaters where curtains and fly sets were pulled up or lowered with hemp ropes, the pieces of iron-the weights with a horseshoe on either end that goes around the rope were called "legs."  The curtain was customarily dropped after the curtain call. A second curtain call required the curtain to be raised again and lowered. A third curtain call the same. If the curtain is lowered and raised in repetition, the "legs" have a tendency to break.  Therefore, Break a Leg was a wish for many curtain calls. This perspective predates the Ford Theatre-John Wilkes Booth anecdote where he broke his leg jumping down to the stage. The Ford Theatre anecdote seems to me to not be a true wish for a wonderful performance as the connotation rightly contains in the Hemp House anecdote. Another idea is, with the superstitious theme, that in place of saying good luck, you make a statement the opposite of your intention which will invert itself. Again, it doesn't offer the logic of the Hemp House perspective.

RE: The Ghost light
    Various ideas abound, here's one. The ever so many characters living and imaginary that inhabit a theatre are often felt in the atmosphere of the building. Due to the commonly precarious condition of sets, frequently, peculiar sounds and falling objects are attributed to the "ghosts" of actors and characters who have traversed the boards in times past. In older days, there were no "Exit" lights to cast some aspect of light onto the stage. Any person entering the space would have to travel in the dark until they reached the place where they could turn on some lights exposing themselves to the danger of ghosts and relocated/fallen/falling objects. This was a dangerous thing as no-one can ever be sure what condition the space is in, with changing sets, and sets that sometimes "change" accidentally. Thus, a "ghost" light was left center stage to help keep the ghosts from harming anyone who might enter the space....It also gives the ghosts some light to play in for their ghostly audiences....These days our legally required EXIT signs have displaced the oh so romantic notion/need for a ghost light to protect us. And, alas, we are no longer legally able to have a full 100% blackout where our ghosts can hideout. PS, if you are lucky enough to have ghosts, make friends with them-they love the theatre and after all, better friends than....!

Why "Standing in the Wings" is a no-no: Actors require high levels of concentration to achieve peak performances. The Wings, the area on the sides of the stage where entrances are often made, can easily be viewed by actors on stage. Anyone standing in the wings, often in some kind of motion, can accidentally be caught in the actor's eyeline and hence distract them. That momentary distraction can cause the onstage actor to mess up a few moments later. The mess up happens a few moments later because the actor's concentration is generally a few moments ahead of her visible/audible performance. If you do need to stand in the wings, be as still as possible and don't ever try to be cute by purposely distracting your partners in performance. Everyone in the entire ensemble of a production must have the good will of the show and its gift to the audience as their most important task. 

I am not sure if the following is relevant and yet you have inspired me to include it as it solves a long-fought mystery encountered in the rehearsal process. Understanding this mystery can relieve frustration, embarrassment, low self-esteem and critical judgements on self and others, leading to a happier experience for all.

"I SWARE I KNEW THIS AT HOME! WHY CAN'T I REMEMBER MY LINES HERE?"
    OFF BOOK is a request to have the actors memorized and not needing the script in their hand.
    ON BOOK is when a script is held in hand. When actors are requested to be OFF BOOK, the first several rehearsals following are best accomplished with someone off stage like an assistant director or stage manager who is ON BOOK. Then the actor can "CALL LINE" and the person on book can FEED them the LINE.
    An interesting thing for actors, directors, stage managers and technicians to know is that when we memorize, the space we are in is attached to the memory. And each time we need to recall a line in a new place, we need to adjust our spatial awareness, which uses up some memory. So it is "bio-logical," that we forget some of what we knew at home. Expect to remember less than you thought when you change spaces. Our short term memory drops each time we cross a threshold into a new space requiring new sensorial assessment. A simple example is when you are in the kitchen and want something from the bedroom. By the time you get to the bedroom, you may have forgotten what you came for because units of your short term memory got used to adjust to the light, texture, dimensions of each different space you crossed into-the hall, the living room, another hall, then finally the bedroom. You may have to return to the kitchen where you will then remember.
    Antidote: When you arrive at your rehearsal where you are expected to be off book your first few times, come early and walk through the space with book in hand while reviewing your lines as "off the page" as possible. Be appreciative of yourself and respectful of the the process when you do need to call line-don't abuse yourself with defensiveness about being failure. That unprofessional behavior just wastes your energy on what is past and disrespects everyone's time. Simply restart with full acting engagement and focus on the present. It's a process.
    Also, this spatial adjustment as relates to memory loss can happen again when new sets, costumes and all of the technical elements arrive and merge. So, when these new sensorial elements arrive, take a little extra time to review your lines in relation to them.
    Directors might do well to inform their casts and crew of these tendencies and their antidotes, while factoring the ramifications into their schedules.

Hope this is useful as I am sure such a book will prove to be. 

Lisa Loving Dalton

SAG-AFTRA, DFW Board
    818 761 5404 cel
    LisaLDalton skype

• 17.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-05-2019 19:40
    I go over expectations, rules and etiquette (and I will have all of my classes read and learn the "Code of Ethics") but I don't go over any of the superstitions because, well, I don't want to encourage superstitious beliefs. I do say break a leg since that is so ingrained and recognized as a positive, but the ghost light and not saying Macbeth I find to be a bit silly.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 18.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-06-2019 12:41

Teach your students about how to go through a door stealthily.  Learn to be a 'stage ninja'.  Almost every door that exits a stage is a Fire Door.  It has special requirements about closing and latching.  Even if your particular performance space does not have Fire Doors, teach the students as if they are Fire Doors so they learn the skill and understand the purpose of the Fire Doors.  Performers and crew need to learn to press the crash-bar slowly and gently, and wait for the latch to disengage before pushing on the door.  Similarly, release the crash-bar slowly so as to minimize the clatter of the door hardware resetting, then help the door close gently, not with a crash.

Many times I see people try to reduce the clatter of doors by taping over the door latch, propping the door open, or disasembling the automatic door closer.  ALL OF THESE ACTIONS ARE GROSS VIOLATIONS OF THE FIRE CODE.  Do not do these things.  The only two ways to legally hold a Fire Door open is to have a person hold it, or to use an electromagnetic door holder that is automatically released by the Fire Alarm system.  'Temporary' door props are also illegal.  Many fire doors have been illegally modified to have a kick-down (fold-down) holder to keep the door open.  These should be removed immediately.  They are an illegal modification to the door.

Side Note:  Fire Doors must be inspected and tested annually, just like Fire Curtains, Smoke Vents, and other fire protection devices.  Ask your maintenance supervisor for the inspection records for your theatre building systems.  If they can't produce them, find-out why!

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 19.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-06-2019 13:09
    Erich,

Thanks for that post. This is something that I had not thought about mainly because it is so ingrained in me that I do it automatically. I had also not thought about people taping the door latch as being a hazard. I will definitely look out for this in the future.

I've been doing this for a long time but still have so much to learn!

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC

• 20.  RE: Basics of Backstage Etiquette

Posted 03-06-2019 13:12
    Ken,

I understand not wanting to encourage superstitious beliefs but the Ghost light is much more than a superstition. It is a safety thing. Used to keep people from tripping or falling off the stage in a dark theatre. The ghost light story is just something fun to tell people that ask you why you have a single light in the middle of the stage!

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC