Open Forum

View Only

Sequence and scope of improv activities

• 1.  Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-27-2019 13:26
    I know that there are folk here who are way better than I at teaching improv.

I've certainly used improv in my theatre classes both to teach particular acting skills but also for fun and to mix things up.  I am beginning a new arrangement where I'll have a dedicated group of students specifically learning improv.  We only meet 30 minutes a week for 8 weeks.

Just thought I'd pick the brains of our improv masters about how they would structure the learning given that time frame.  What concepts should be the big takeaways?  What activities yield those outcomes?  What order would you do them in?

This is an ungraded, mixed class of sixth through eighth graders, if that matters.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 08:13

Hi, Ryan.  

If you can find a copy of "Acting through Improv: Improv through Theatresports" by Belt and Stockley it might be helpful.  The text outlines an educational theatre curriculum through improvisation, beginning with units on building your ensemble  and moving on to things like movement/sensory awareness, spontaneity, narrative, character, etc.- all the way through performance. The authors write for teachers, giving goals and objectives for each unit and breaking down potential activities by day.  It is a good place to start for developing a course in improv.  The only problem will be finding the book.... I don't know if it is still in print. 

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 11:33
    Thanks for the recommendation.  My cursory Amazon search showed a cheapest copy of $83.  Yikes.  I'll continue to look around.  Must be a rare treasure!

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 12:13
    It's less expensive on her website...http://www.artsaretheanswer.com/lynda-belt/

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 12:46
    Ryan,

I used the text years ago and, as it was purchased with school funds, had to leave it when I moved. Recently, I wanted another copy. I was able to find Ms. Belt online through a professional organization and was able to get a copy directly.  It was not $85. 

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-30-2019 08:06
    Hi, sorry to go off-topic here, I just wanted to chime in about Amazon book prices. I don't quite understand it, but prices are crazy on Amazon. I think it has something to do with some kind of price algorithm that Amazon has with its 3rd party sellers. I once saw an out-of-print book I had published selling for 324 dollars. And no, I would not have seen a cent of that. I'm sure no one would buy it, though.

The books that go for those prices are not old or valuable, necessarily. And I don't know where the prices come from. But look elsewhere. Sometimes books will be sold on an individual site for much less.

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 7.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 14:12
    Hi--

I would be happy to help you with some tools, etc.  Not to hawk my own stuff, but I wrote a book to address this very thing. It's called Teaching Improv: A Practical Guide for Theatre Educators. It's fifty sequential lessons and it's meant to support other acting lessons. It's available through my office.  That being said, I'm more than happy to help anyone who needs an idea or tool to solve a teaching challenge. Just drop me a line!

James Bailey
    Director of Theatre
    Justin-Siena High School
    Napa CA

• 8.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 14:17
    In addition to being the theatre director at my school, I'm also the Artistic Director of ComedySportz in Los Angeles--that's the office I was referring to. 323/871-1193.

James Bailey
    Director of Theatre
    Justin-Siena High School
    Napa CA

• 9.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-29-2019 06:56
    I will gladly hawk James' book, Teaching Improv: A Practical Guide for Theatre Educators, because I have been using it this year and if I had to keep ONE book to teach Improv (or really anything) I would grab his. It is arranged in such an intentional and progressive order that really helps students to grow in their improv skills (and see the purpose for these "games.") We do one or two of the activities every day as a warm up. Sometimes I even read his exact commentary or tips for the students word for word. The book clearly respects theatre teachers (and is quite entertaining) and helps me so much when I am brain dead and need someone to just tell me what to do (like this week, tech week every afternoon/evening.) THANK YOU JAMES!!!

Lea Marshall
    Theatre Teacher/Troupe #1429 Director
    Leon High School
    Tallahassee FL
    LeonTheatre.com

• 10.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-29-2019 08:17
    Hi James,

How do I go about purchasing your book? Can you please share the cost?

Thanks,
    Cheri Addison
    Theatre Director
    Nation Ford High School
    Fort Mill, SC

Cheri Addison
    Clover SC

• 11.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 08-10-2022 15:29
    Good afternoon, James. I am Bill Dawson and I am the Speech and Theatre Teacher at Waterloo West High School in Waterloo, Iowa. On a side note, my sister lives in Windsor, California, Sonoma County, so I have been to Napa on many visits. Unfortunately, we were occupied with sight seeing activities. I especially enjoyed visiting Lake Berryesa and Yountville. 

James, I would like to purchase your book Teaching Improv: A Practical Guide for Theatre Educators. I can forward a cashier's check to you at the office address you provide. Thank you, James. Bill Dawson

William Dawson
    Professional Speech and Theatre Educator, Director

• 12.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 16:14
    Hi Ryan!

I currently perform at Upright Citizens Brigade in <g class="gr_ gr_63 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="63" data-gr-id="63">NYC,</g> and teach a bunch of improv workshops for high school and corporate companies. Since it's a short window of time, I would aim to focus on one concept per class (or per two classes depending) and always reviewing the concepts that have already been covered at the top of every class, even if it's just speeding through talking points! In my experience, the biggest takeaways I've noticed make the biggest impact are:
    1. Yes AND!! (Even if this is the only thing they take away from the class it will be a success). It's the basis of improv, and I would argue life, so this is a solid place to start and serve as a solid foundation and home base to come back to. 
    2. Teamwork! Make each other look good, and you will always benefit. 
    3. Quick scenes or just talking through the big 3: WHO are you (and what is the relationship), WHERE are you, WHAT are you doing.
    4. Fun and different ways to drop into a scene (ex. big emotional reaction/commitment, movement that informs a character, etc.)

Also- I did Comedy Sportz in high school and can vouch for all the short form games they do. So fun and demonstrate concepts well!

Hope this helps!

Anne-Marie Pietersma
    Brooklyn NY

• 13.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 16:23
    Thanks.  Great suggestions all. Keep 'em coming.

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 14.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-28-2019 16:44
    Hello! 

I really enjoy the Second City Almanac of Improvisation. I think it has a lot of good philosophy about improv, and gives good reason for WHY you're doing the exercise you're doing. The biggest frustration I have with most improvisational education at the high school level is that it puts too much focus on the games--short-form, specifically, and rarely touches on the foundations of improv (Yes&, teamwork, listening, narrative development, world building etc.). While the "game" is fun, improv education should be more about these fundamental skills, and the quality of improv produced will be infinitely better! 

Have fun!

Katy Nuttman
    Theatre and English Instructor
    Auburn WA

• 15.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 03-31-2019 14:50
    Hi!

I hate to be someone hawking their own stuff on the discussion board as well, but I also wrote a book on the subject - the link is below. It includes a ton of activities, sample formats for workshops (I've used these activities to teach middle and high school improv camps and more), theory, performance structures, and class resources (i.e. creative adjustments that have been successful with this age group). Hope that's helpful!

Trace

Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv
    Amazon remove preview
    Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv
    Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv is your personal guide to learning how to perform short-form improvisation consistently and successfully. Every challenge, every activity, and every rule presented in the book is rooted in 20 years of teaching performer...
    View this on Amazon >

Trace Crawford
    Drama Director, Hilliard Davidson High School
    www.hilliarddavidsontheatre.com
    hdvtechcrew.weebly.com
    www.tracecrawford.com

• 16.  RE: Sequence and scope of improv activities

Posted 04-01-2019 06:16
    The book Absolutely Everything**You need to know about Teaching And Performing Improv by Trace Crawford is good. Also, you may want to check out a professional improv troupe in your area. I have Comedysportz Team come to my school once a month for a 2 hour workshop.

Kendal Fries
    Trinity Theatre Director
    Euless, Texas