Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sharing Our Original One Act Plays June 1-3

Posted 05-25-2020 23:34
      |   view attached
    Hello  School Theatre Folk,

For the past three years, my high school theatre students have "trusted the process" and created original new works each fall. I cast an ensemble of actors before we go home for the summer and then over the summer I write scripts for them. We come back in the fall, read what I have worked on(and other things I haven't written), and then select a piece to workshop together.  What started out as a small idea at the end of Summer 2017, has sort of become "a thing." 

Next week we have some "events" planned on YouTube and we are starting by sharing these original one acts. It was an easy choice since I own the material, and as we started to think about what to share it became a natural idea because our seniors first performed competitive one act plays with our first show. It's a way to look back at them and our program, but why stop there?? I thought folks outside of our theatre community might want to see the shows.

The shows will be on our YouTube channel each night at 7pm. I had some fun last week interviewing alumni about our process of creating new work together, how we handle challenging topics, and how we use music as we create.

If you are looking for some educational theatre, looking for potential one act scripts, need an escape for 40 minutes, or want to explore the idea of creating work with your own material, I hope you will join us on YouTube. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4VDu5fXvPqFjEW7EwyTO_g)

Each of the three plays was well received and has won numerous awards. Two of the shows took us to SETC, two took us to the state finals, and all of them helped boost the confidence of my students as creative artists with much to offer.

I have attached a photo file flyer if you want it as a reminder or if you want to share with your own student artists who might be considering original works, looking for a new show, or who just need to stay in the house!!

I'd be happy to talk to you about the scripts, my process, or how you plan to spend your summer(I'm at a loss!),

All the best,

Harvey

------------------------------
    J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Jamestown High School Theatre
    Williamsburg, VA
    james.stone@wjccschools.org

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Sharing Our Original One Act Plays June 1-3

Posted 05-26-2020 08:56
    Dear Harvey,

Thank you so much for sharing your & the students work with us, I look forward to reading the work.
    Happy Tuesday!

Sincerely,
    Laura

Laura Rizzo
    North Miami FL

• 3.  RE: Sharing Our Original One Act Plays June 1-3

Posted 05-26-2020 09:15
    Thanks for sharing! I look forward to watching. Best wishes to your students.

Christina Vincent
    Director of Theatre
    The Woodhall School
    Bethlehem, CT

• 4.  RE: Sharing Our Original One Act Plays June 1-3

Posted 05-26-2020 09:57
    Harvey,

I'd love to hear more about your workshop and writing process. I have tried a few approaches but have not found success. Feel free to email me at chadgifford@gmail.com

Chad

Chad Gifford
    Director of Theatre
    Minot ND