Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Mermaid

Posted 11-15-2018 11:37
    Does anyone have any advice on anything connected with The Little Mermaid? Doing the adult version at a high school with no fly loft.

• 2.  RE: Little Mermaid

Posted 11-15-2018 12:19
    Hi
    We did The Little Mermaid without a fly. What information do you need?

------------------------------
    Ellen O'Reilly-LaSalle
    Dighton Rehoboth Regional High School

• 3.  RE: Little Mermaid

Posted 11-16-2018 07:39
    We also had no flying. We had Scuttle jump on a trampoline behind his rock so it looked like he was flying. We had Ariel transform (quick change) as the eels circled her and pulled off her tail then she swam away as Ursula took center and did her laugh. We built a giant rolling boat and Eric was a dancer so he did turns and leaps until he flipped off the boat in the storm with big fabric waves. We had bubbles fall from our catwalks with a bubble sound to transition from land to sea. Let me know if you have any other specific questions. This was my first musical last year and it went really well-happy to help.

Carina Stiles
    Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix AZ

• 4.  RE: Little Mermaid

Posted 11-16-2018 09:22
    We did it without a fly system, too. Everything had to come out of the wings.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: Little Mermaid

Posted 11-16-2018 15:49
    For the First Transformation, we had "Sea Creatures" circle Ariel as two took off her tail and Heelies

For the Second Transformation, we had the Mersisters circle Ariel as two sea creatures removed her tail and Heelies.

For the shipwreck, we split the ship in two (unfastened a latch that kept the two parts as one), Prince Erik fell backwards in slow motion while a strobe light was used.  Very effective.

Hope this helps.

Michael Stofko
    Teacher
    Wilkes Barre PA

• 6.  RE: Little Mermaid

Posted 11-16-2018 10:07
    I saw a production where the underwater scenes were played by actors "swimming" with heelies on. An interesting idea, I didn't really like it but my wife (also a theater teacher/producer) loved it.

When we did it, we made great use of fabric - specifically long swaths of blue silk that actors manipulated to create water. The shipwreck scene, Ariel's transformation, and the final standoff with Ursula were turned into ensemble "dance" numbers using the fabric, and the effect was breathtaking.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL