Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Awesome 80s Prom

Posted 04-03-2018 16:55
    Has anyone had experience with The Awesome 80s Prom?  I am loving the script and the combination of rehearsed and improvised scenes.  I would be interested, though, in getting some perspective on preparing for it, what space worked well for the performance, how some of the "questionable content" was handled, and any other advice.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 2.  RE: Awesome 80s Prom

Posted 04-04-2018 10:03
    We used our gym. It worked great. 

Rehearsals were fun. We incorporated and created tons of peripheral characters. And had seperate rehearsals in the beginning for leads and peripherals. 

We altered questionable content as we are in a very conservative area. However we tried to maintain the integrity and spirit of the raunchiness.

Lucas Harms
    Luling LA

• 3.  RE: Awesome 80s Prom

Posted 04-04-2018 17:34
    I produced this show at my school last year and it was a huge hit! We staged the entire show *on* the stage with the audiences entering through hall through the wings. The key to keep the audience engaged was to NOT have enough chairs for everyone. This encouraged participation and dancing and kept the energy way up. We also toned down some of the questionable material but made no major changes. I had so much fun doing this show that I'm doing it again this summer at a community theatre in town with adults.

Polly Harrison
    Director of Theatre
    Wylie High School
    Wylie, TX