Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ensemble One-Act Suggestions

Posted 08-27-2018 14:17
    Yet another post about show selection :-)

I'm looking for an ensemble one act (under 40 minutes, ideally around 30) for a strong middle school group - something similar to Wiley or Aunt Leaf in terms of its use of ensemble. (Wiley just didn't grab the group somehow.  They are passionate about Aunt Leaf, but I'm fearing it is just a bit too hard for them. They are mostly 7th graders.)

Related question: has anyone produced the 35 minute version of A Wrinkle in Time?  I love the use of the ensemble, but wonder if it holds together for audiences who don't already know the story (as so much had to be cut to get it to 35).

As it is a class group, we choose shows that don't place the majority of the acting load on just a few actors.  (Past years have included The Happiness Shop, The Audition, Baghdad Zoo, Homework Eats Dog.) The students really want a play with a central narrative, rather than a vignette piece.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and insights!

------------------------------
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 2.  RE: Ensemble One-Act Suggestions

Posted 08-28-2018 11:06
    10 WAYS TO SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE by Don Zolidas (Playscrips) is super fun with a lesson about teamwork, 10-24 actoras.  Although there are four primary speakers, I consider it an ensemble show.

Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ

• 3.  RE: Ensemble One-Act Suggestions

Posted 09-03-2018 14:42
    I love "Things Fall (Meanwhile)" by Barton Bishop (Playscripts).

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 4.  RE: Ensemble One-Act Suggestions

Posted 09-04-2018 05:10
    Honestly, if they're passionate about it, let them do it. It's about the learning and process. 

But check out "The Absolutely............Cat Hair." On Theatrefolk.com. The title is SUPER long so I shortened it above - but it's ensemble. And it can be SO great! 

Jessica Stafford
    Theatre Teacher
    Owensboro Public Schools
    Owensboro KY