Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Access during COVID

Posted 06-25-2020 09:25
    Hello fellow educators and professionals,

Just wondering how many of you have had access to your space though-out the COVID-19 pandemic. We had some initial strict guidelines, but only lost access to the building for two weeks. If you had access, did you do any infrastructure projects? If you didn't, wnat isthe first thing you have to do when you get back in the classroom/theatre?

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 2.  RE: Access during COVID

Posted 06-26-2020 08:27
    I've had access to my space if I ask permission in advance to make sure there aren't too many people in the building. Each time I've gone in, it's been to strike a little more of our musical that got shut down on our 2nd performance of a 3-performance run. This week we adjusted the lights for the mini graduation ceremonies. Next week I'll probably do some cleaning of the storage areas to make room for the large props. It's just the choir teacher, auditorium manager, and myself (director and sometimes tech director) that go in. I'm hoping to do some set building for the fall play even though that'll probably just be streamed.

Kristin Koski
    Theatre Director
    Moline IL

• 3.  RE: Access during COVID

Posted 06-27-2020 12:58
    I stayed out completely for about two weeks, then as weeks went on I was going in more and more. The last few weeks of virtual classes, I was just in my space all day - easier for me to concentrate and do work between Zoom calls. (Honestly, I got more grading done my first day working on campus than in the previous 3 weeks)

The last few weeks I've begun chipping away at striking our set from our musical (we got an opening weekend, but got shut down before our closing weekend) and slowly putting props away. The last week or so I've begun going through our lighting storage. After I finish that next week, I'll be moving on to a deep clean of my office, then working on re-organizing our script library... 

70s

Seth Cohen
    Redondo Beach CA

• 4.  RE: Access during COVID

Posted 06-27-2020 19:52
    We have only had access if we got permission from an administrator and we had to agree to wear a mask the whole time we were there.  It was sort of a get in, get out affair.  Our buildings are shut down and our custodians have to completely sanitize any area after anyone has been in it.   We have no idea what is happening for a return to school in August and we were told recently that the earliest they would make a decision is the middle of July.

Patricia J. Santanello, Ed.D.
    Educational Theatre Association - Ohio Chapter
    Co-Chapter Director
    Dublin Scioto High School
    psdirector2003@hotmail.com
    Dublin, Ohio

• 5.  RE: Access during COVID

Posted 06-28-2020 06:57
    We are in the same scenario as Patricia. I even volunteered to help with students returning their laptops/cleaning out their lockers (only 5 @ a time & in masks for 10 minutes) just so I could get in my space. I still have a set on stage and props on tables for our cancelled musical! I'll deal with that later. Crazy times.
    Stay Safe,
    Garry​

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Access during COVID

Posted 06-29-2020 18:27
    I have had a similar experience to many of you:  only able to go in a specified times for a specified amount of time.  Then, all of a sudden, in May I got an order to take down the set so they could prepare the theater for large group instruction--and if I didn't, then the custodial staff would.  What??  After some back and forth--me explaining that no, the people who built it needed to take the set down.  And then how do you safely take the set down and remain physically distant?  So, on a weekend, striking the set was myself, my husband and my 21 year old son and 17 year old daughter and the set designer. (Thank goodness I have older kids who can actually use tools!)  All wearing masks.  My prop mistress came and put away the props and my costume designer gathered costumes to take home.  We took the set apart and put it in storage --I'm still hopeful we can remount the production this spring?? We only got to do our final dress rehearsal of Puffs.  Thirty minutes after our rehearsal ended we got the notification that school was being shut down.
    Early in June I went in for a couple of hours to clean up everything else and lock everything away.

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA

• 7.  RE: Access during COVID

Posted 06-29-2020 19:10
    I am fortunate that I had not begun to build our spring musical set, so I have been cleaning my shop, my classroom, my costume room, etc. I have been allowed access whenever the custodial staff is in, but I basically have no contact with anyone. I only wear a mask if I walk through the office. I find myself much more productive on site than I do at home!

Jodi Improta
    Cerritos CA