Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cleaning Up "13"

Posted 05-30-2015 22:52

I'd love to produce "13" next year. I've got the singers, and possibly high schoolers for a band. But I teach at a 7-8 middle school and I'm slightly worried that some content won't fly. We managed to produce "drowsy chaperone" this year with minimal editing (no one batted an eye at Message from a Nightingale) but our community has historically been uncomfortable with sexuality and im worried about "the tongue" and "it can't be true." Any suggestions on how to edit the making out/first base references? Or better yet, how to prep my principal/parents/community so they're not shocked or complaining they have 3rd graders asking awkward questions? I'd love any advice or feedback.
    ------------------------------
    Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 2.  RE: Cleaning Up "13"

Posted 05-31-2015 10:50

Nicole,

I would recommend contacting the publisher and asking them. One, it violates copyright and your production contract to make changes to the play without permission from the author (typically via the author's representative), and two, if they do give you permission, they may have suggestions about what to do. Perhaps they've encountered this situation before, and the author has already given them a solution to hand out. You could share the entire process with your students, so that they learn about copyright and artists' ownership of their work. Whether the publisher says yes or no, you will have taught your students an invaluable lesson that is much more important than this particular show.

All best wishes,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: Cleaning Up "13"

Posted 05-31-2015 16:53

Thanks, Jonathan. That's actually why I posted. Hoping to see if anyone's already jumped the hoops and what changes edits were allowed, and which were not. Thanks for the concern. 

Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 4.  RE: Cleaning Up "13"

Posted 05-31-2015 17:10

I second Jonathan's advice: ask your rep at MTI. They've heard the questions before, and sometimes will have the answer straight from the author. For example, Schmidt & Jones have a concession that the fathers in The Fantasticks can be played by 'mothers.' But not by a mother/father combo. I don't think that info is written down anywhere. Sometimes if the rep is new, they won't know the answer so press to speak to a manager, etc. Often, they will ask for you to specify in writing (so they can pass it up the chain of command-maybe even to JRB himself).

If you're not getting anywhere with MTI, you could also reach out to the author directly. Sometimes they'll get involved (Stephen Schwartz is very active, for example) and at other times, they leave it in the hands of the licensing house. IMO: definitely ask MTI before gong to JRB.

http://jasonrobertbrown.com/contact/
    Michael McDonough
    New York NY