Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Auditions Anyone?

Posted 11-13-2020 18:16
    Hi All,
    I am going to conduct auditions for a small musical production (9 roles) with video submissions of vocals and a choreography sequence. I figure it is likely than some of you have already done this. I'm open for any tips and suggestions as well as technical ideas.
    Other than an email submission, is it possible to upload videos to an online drive such as DropBox or Google Drive or something else? I do want to make certain that no one else can see or access the video submissions of others.
    Are there already services out there that conduct things like this online?

------------------------------
    Christopher Piner
    Drama Teacher/director
    Vernal UT

• 2.  RE: Virtual Auditions Anyone?

Posted 11-14-2020 06:48
    I have a Google Classroom and posted the auditions with a deadline as an assignment. Students recorded audition videos on their phone, and submitted them on classroom. I have also done live auditions on Zoom where they had an appointment time when they had to join and I kept them in the waiting room until it was their turn. Both worked well. I liked having the opportunity to go back and rewatch the videos.

Nancy Lomas-Reynolds
    Director and Theatre Coordinator
    Voorhees High School
    Glen Gardner, NJ

• 3.  RE: Virtual Auditions Anyone?

Posted 11-14-2020 11:12
    I conducted auditions on Flipgrid, and it worked really well! You can even link any sides, choreography videos, etc so that everything they need is in one place. You can make the submission link private so that no one else can see the videos, but you can also assign a "co-pilot" in case you have a musical director or choreographer that you would like to have access. Good luck!

Stephanie Wendell
    Silver Spring MD

• 4.  RE: Virtual Auditions Anyone?

Posted 11-14-2020 17:52
    I second the vote for FlipGrid. I have found it just the easiest platform for students being able to quickly film any audition material without the pain of student's having to figure out how to upload or send/share big heavy digital files to even a shared drive or dropbox. It eliminates those steps and is then super easy for me to review all the clips, once all the auditions are posted. You can even set it so that the submissions default to private, so that you are the only one who can view the video submissions etc... I have tried a lot of other options. FlipGrid really minimized student hardship and tech noise around  the virtual audition process from my perspective.... 

Cheers!

Colleen Mylott
    Secondary Theatre Teacher
    Peak to Peak Charter School
    Lafayette, CO

• 5.  RE: Virtual Auditions Anyone?

Posted 11-16-2020 15:44
    Thank you so much. I had an overwhelming recommendation of Flipgrid here and another place I posted. I'm going to investigate it today! I may be back with more questions, haha!

Christopher Piner
    Drama Teacher/director
    Vernal UT

• 6.  RE: Virtual Auditions Anyone?

Posted 11-15-2020 18:26
    Hello,
    I was not aware of flipgrid - I will definitely check it out. For the 2 dramas we are working on this fall/winter, we did recorded acting auditions that were shared with me. I then added them to a Google Drive. What I liked about the video submissions is the ability to be able to go back to some videos to check on accents, dramatizations, etc. I can see myself continuing this method moving forward.
    Hope you are all well.
    Jim

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA