Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian Points

Posted 10-10-2018 15:04
    Hey! It's my first year as a troupe director and I'm still figuring out how Thespian points work. One of my students was in a production not affiliated with my high school's theatre program over the summer. Can she earn thespian points for having a role in that production? If so, how does that work exactly?
    Thank you in advance for your help!

------------------------------
    Erin Graffis
    Theatre Teacher
    Columbus OH

• 2.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 10-10-2018 16:02
    The recommendation is to award points at half the rate you would for school shows.  So if your student played a lead in a community show, they would earn 4 points instead of 8.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 10-10-2018 17:29
    It's really up to each individual Troupe to decide.  I award matching points up to but not exceeding the work the student has done in school.  I also require a signature from the Director of the outside show on the program with the students name in it.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 10-11-2018 07:44
    In my troupe, the answer is no. Our students ear Thespian points on our shows and activities only.

The good news is that you can do it any way you want!

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 10-11-2018 11:28
    My theater students earn Thespian Points for anything that my department sponsors or co-sponsors, but not for outside shows.  However, some students have gotten Drama Club/Thespian Troupe permission to lend props or costumes to an outside show or help train emergent actors or techies in that outiside group.  Then they earn points for their Community Service work through Troupe (since it becomes a Troupe Activity).

Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ