Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Casting females in Newsies

Posted 12-09-2019 14:20
    We're thinking about doing Newsies next year, obviously there are not a lot of female roles in this show. To me it is an easy fix, just cast females as newsboys. My music director is concerned about the music and range. Would it be an issue to have females sing male parts? Does anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Jordanne Bradley
    Estes Park CO
    Troupe #7284

• 2.  RE: Casting females in Newsies

Posted 12-10-2019 09:35
    The kids will love it. We did Newsies last spring and it was a huge hit. We had girls as newsboys as well and where it got high for the guys, the girls helped out there. I think it works well especially for the ensemble numbers. 
    Break a leg!

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 3.  RE: Casting females in Newsies

Posted 12-10-2019 09:43
    We did Newsies last year and had plenty of female Newsies, some dressed as boys some as girl Newsies. The real history of the "newsboys" strike supports the idea that there were just as many news girls as news boys. We had all of our Brooklyn Newsies be girls as girls, it was a good feminist moment...the boy Newsies from Manhattan needed the girl newsies from Brooklyn and Spot to win. The song "Brooklyn's Here" was a bit of a challenge vocally for that girls ensemble, but they made it work.

Brooklyn Newsies

J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Williamsburg VA