Open Forum

View Only

Looking for show with military themes

• 1.  Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-22-2015 05:07

Hello All!

I'm on the hunt for a show that deals with some aspect of the military. Our school produces a large veterans day celebration every year and they would like us to participate. We have done A Piece of My Heart in the past, but I would like something a little more understated. A piece about a soldier coming home and meeting a girl on his travels was specifically given to me by the chair of the event, but I can't recall any shows meeting this criteria. I also thought of Journey's End, but I am seriously open to any recommendations since this will probably become a yearly occurrence. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 2.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 06:24
    The plays I know generally don't paint the military in a particularly glowing light, but for what it's worth, three that roll off my tongue are Dogfight, American Tet (probably both too intense), or a British one I love called Chips With Everything... ------------------------------ Phillip Goodchild Ruskin FL ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-24-2015 19:44
    Eldridge Plays just published "Rosie the Riveter"

Billy Houck
    Sunnyvale CA

• 4.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 06:52
    Look at the plays of WWII, such as THE HASTY HEART, MRS MINIVER, THE CLOCK, etc. The 1940s and 50s were a time of lots of patriotic material due to the war effort. Samuel French probably has more of the older plays. ------------------------------ Floyd Nash ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 07:25

If you can get permission from the publisher, you could do a series of cuttings, and most of the 2nd act, of "Biloxi Blues".  The main character is in boot camp during WWII and falls in love with a girl who lives nearby. There are a series of charming, even funny scenes in which they meet, fall in love and discuss their future.

You could also look at "Time on Fire" which is a series of inter-laced scenes of soldiers and civilians set during the American Revolution.

Good luck with your project!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 6.  RE:Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 07:38
    We have done Tim Kelly's adaptation of M*A*S*H, which is great fun, but might be too light for Veterans Day. We've also done A Few Good Men, but that one might seem a little down on the military. Again, though, our audiences really enjoyed both of those shows. If you'd like to go in the classical direction, Henry V is a great military show, and Antigone deals with themes of war as well. There are also a good number of Civil War shows out there... Soldiers Young & Brave is the first one that comes to mind.

-------------------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams
    Adel GA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 7.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 08:29

We create a Veteran's Day assembly every other year to perform for the entire school. Last time I googled "letters from soldiers during war" and pulled several actual letters from soldiers from The Civil War, WW1, WW2, the Vietnam War, and Desert Storm. Each student played one soldier, dressed in the uniform of the time, and spoke the words of the letter. And since our entire stage was filled with orchestra, band and chorus, (plus projection screens) we had several solo spotlights on each actor as they came forward and "told their story" via the letter written. It was moving, covered all our conflicts over time (or at least a good many of them), and fit nicely with the band/orchestra/chorus playing/singing.

We have lots of vets and community people who attend our shows and this one really hit home with many. Even the students were visibly moved, as some of the "letters home" were read after the death of the soldier. Others were about the excitement of returning home to family and friends. There are also letters to Girlfriends (and boyfriends during Desert Storm), which had a large impact on our students

It's worth taking a look at this, especially if you aren't performing an entire show. Our assembly was about an hour long.

Hope this helps

Ron Wells
    Lawton C Johnson Summit Middle School

Summit, NJ

• 8.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-26-2015 08:17

Not sure if you would like this or not, but a few years back we did a One Act called The Field that was very well accepted and won our regional competition.  It is two Vietnam soldiers in a mine field and the conversation they have as they work their way across it.  The ending leaves you wondering how it turned out.  Well written and a great opportunity for a couple of strong male actors.
    Georgann Lanich
    Lakemont GA

• 9.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 08:28
    Our group had great success with "Women and War" by Jack Hilton Cunningham, from Samuel French. We did the one-act version but there is also a full show available. My actors and I were so moved by the show and often came to tears as we discussed our characters and their story lines. The play covers material from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and Iraq/Afghanistan from the homefront AND from the battlefield. We presented the show in competition and regular performance, but our most moving performance was the one given at our Veteran's Day celebration. My students were so nervous, because they knew they were telling the stories of every person in our audience. They earned a standing ovation, and all said it was the most memorable performance they'd ever given. I would be happy to share photos and more info if needed; contact me at mwitten@mcps.org ------------------------------ Makala Witten Christiansburg VA ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 08:38
    I've done a dramatic staging of war poetry which was very well received.  We called the piece VOICES OF WAR and it included a wide range of poems looking at the military experience from every angle.  A simple Google search of "War Poetry" will garner an army of poems :)  Some works were done chorally, some with a single actor.  We uses projected imagery as well as movement to enhance the text.  Good luck!

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 11.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 08:52
    'Oh, What a Lovely War!' is another one...circus style, somewhat down on war. Fun and hits in the gut.

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 12.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 09:28
    I strongly recommend Ed Monk's "Booby Trap," published by Playscripts, Inc.  It's a powerful drama with moments of comic relief.  We had an auditorium full of teenagers in tears at the end of our production.  One of our judges at that festival was a navy wife who had a hard time containing her emotions as she gave us her critique.  It's only a one-act, running about 30 minutes, but maybe you could pair it with one or more other pieces.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 13.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 09:29

Two Oldies But Goodies:

1. Stalag 17

2. Blood, Sweat and Stanley Poole
    Tony Catanese
    Golden CO

• 14.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 11:33

I teach middle school on a military base, and my drama classes often do something for a Veterans Day assembly.  Twice we have devised plays based on stories from the Veterans History Project - Library of Congress collection.  It is an incredible resource, with countless true stories told.  It can be a bit overwhelming, though, and can take some time to find the sources that are most drama-friendly (and in our case, middle-school-friendly).  The "Experiencing War" page allows you to search for stories by theme, which I have found to be extremely helpful.

The students (mostly seventh and eighth graders) look at selected sources, discuss the ideas, meanings and messages, discuss the 'scenes they see' and the 'characters they see,' think about the messages and meanings they want to communicate to the audience, then start to explore these through improvisation and a range of drama techniques.  Gradually they select, shape and script.  It is not a speedy process, but it is terrific for synthesizing playwriting, directing and acting skills. Usually I end up wishing that Veterans Day was in mid-December instead of early November!

Having a list of plays, or even scenes, that could fill a similar role would be fantastic - so I'm looking forward to other responses to this thread!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 15.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-23-2015 15:07
    we did a piece called Voices in Conflict that was a really good option. It is a series of monologues (until the end) based on actual letters, blogs, emails, etc from soldiers. Playsricpts has it so you can read the majority of it online

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 16.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-25-2015 08:09

Have you looked at Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham?  It is more about the women who are waiting for their men than anything, but it still has both sides of the story.  The full-length is written as reader's theatre for four women and one man, but the one-act version is a fully staged piece.  It has adorably light moments as well as some very heavy moments.  I worked with Jack to develop the one-act and would be happy to talk with you more about it and/or send you pictures if you would like.  It is a beautiful play!!  You have room to create such incredible pictures and moments.  I produced both the full length and the one-act as fully stage productions and several of my friends across the US have as well.

Have a great day!

CCG

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 17.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-26-2015 06:58
    You might consider Civil Ceremony by Beth Gilleland. About the civil war and women who disguised themselves in order to serve. Contact me if you want to contact the playwrite. Not sure if it is published. Was produced by the History Theatre in Saint Paul, mn. ------------------------------ Diane Landis Minneapolis MN ------------------------------

• 18.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 03-27-2015 01:58
    You might try the play "Waiting for the Parade" by John Murrell.  It is a 5 woman play however it is from the viewpoint of Canadian women.  Has some beautiful moments in the play.  We did it in the round with 90 seats and it was very touching.

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Laguna Hills CA

• 19.  RE: Looking for show with military themes

Posted 04-02-2015 08:14
    Piece of my Heart is a moving Vietnam play about women but with a few men.  I agree Waiting for the Parade is very good too.

Janetta Davis
    Theater Program Coordinator
    Bexley OH