Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fog Machine/Recipes

Posted 03-04-2019 10:36
    Dear Esteemed Experts,

I need to produce a LOT of fog for a scene and I want it to be a low-lying as possible. I currently have no machine, but would prefer to make one/two from scratch. So...all of that said, a few questions.

What do you use to create the fog? Liquid? A made up recipe?
    If a recipe, will you please share it? 
    How do you keep the fog low-lying, rather than just all over the place?
    How do you keep it onstage w/out annoying the audience?
    What machine/rig do you use? Did you purchase it or make it? 
    If you made it, do you have plans that you can share?

Is there anything else I need to know?

TYIA!!!

------------------------------
    Kind Regards,

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 2.  RE: Fog Machine/Recipes

Posted 03-05-2019 07:05
    Hot water and small pieces of dry ice, I mean a pool of hot super hot heated water

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Fog Machine/Recipes

Posted 03-05-2019 08:14
    I too, am no expert but I think there are two kinds of fog machines. The low lying one uses dry ice. The regular fog machine uses fog fluid easily purchased through lighting supplier or amazon. Both kids of machines can be rented as well. Educate kids about using dry ice before it is even brought into the theater!

Nell] [Lynch]
    Timonium MDMaggie

• 4.  RE: Fog Machine/Recipes

Posted 03-05-2019 09:55
    Good morning,

We have made three dry ice fogging units from plastic barrels, hot water heater heating element and a blower. Produces a great low fog effect with dry ice.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Fog Machine/Recipes

Posted 03-06-2019 13:35
    The simplest is dry ice and water (very HOT water) however this can present a hazard, both the water and dry ice. I once placed two of these a little too close to the legs (the soft good, not anatomy) and had to have them cleaned and re-treated (FR) due to the moisture inherent with this method. If these things can be mitigated then I say go for it.

Your other options are to rent a low lying fog machine. These are available from your local rental house and come in various types. Some use CO2 to cool the fog from a regular fog machine so that it lies low, others use normal ice, others dry ice (minus the water) and other have a refrigeration unit to cool the fog.

You can also use a special fog juice that is more low lying than others but I would not consider it truly low lying.

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC