Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Making a large prop rock

Posted 02-07-2018 12:53
    I need to create a large prop rock for Marauder's rock in Peter Pan and Wendy.  It needs to be large enough for 4-5 people to sit on, sturdy enough to stand on, tall enough to hide people sitting behind it and light enough to be moved by middle school stage hands.

------------------------------
    Stephanie Vitulli
    Middle School Theater Director
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 2.  RE: Making a large prop rock

Posted 02-07-2018 13:12
    When we did the show last year we used a angled platform on castors for the base and fabricated the rocky exterior with a combination of paper mache covered in fabric and paint. There is a slight noise issue with the paper mache but the fabric muffled it pretty effectively.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Making a large prop rock

Posted 02-07-2018 14:18
    The best piece of advice I can give you here is to find a photo of a real rock (there are millions on the web) and use it as a place to start. That way you won't end up with something that looks like a wood structure covered in papier mache. You may also want to google "peter pan set design" and see what other productions did.

After that, yeah, it's a wooden structure draped in papier mache or foam.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 4.  RE: Making a large prop rock

Posted 02-08-2018 08:08
    Hi! We actually just built three of these for Seussical using 2" Extruded Foam Insulation (the the lightweight hard stuff that's usually pink or blue that you can buy in 4x8 sheets from Home Depot). You can layer them attaching them with green glue until they are the height you want and then jigsaw to get the shape you want (we cut out the pieces before attaching them). 1/4" plywood as the top layer makes them super sturdy for standing and super cheap muslin dipped in an elmers glue/water mix and then smoothed around the sides makes them ready for painting and adding texture. They stay really light weight and are really sturdy for standing and dancing.    

• 5.  RE: Making a large prop rock

Posted 02-08-2018 11:28
    Jason Watkins at Niwot High School had several large rocks/steps that went together from when .  It was around 4ish feet tall if I recall.  I don't know if he still has it, but if he doesn't I bet he knows who has it.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument, CO