Open Forum

View Only

Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

• 1.  Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-03-2014 08:10
    Hi all, I need a little help.  I need a good musical, large cast (20+), with three or more strong female parts.  I had planned on doing Into the woods next year, but the rights are not available - I have three very strong females and don't want to waste them.  Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-------------------------------------------
    Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 2.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-03-2014 09:14
    Once Upon a Mattress comes to mind. Sophisticated humor, fun music, zany plot, and parts for lead girls -- more than most musicals-- Winnefred, Lady Larkin, Queen, several supporting roles, and some male roles that might be played by females.  I have done the show several times and it is always a hit -- especially if you have a Carol Burnett type to play the whacky comedy and belt out "Shy!" 

Ron Wells

• 3.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-03-2014 13:57
    What time frame and constraints are you looking at? You might try Xanadu. It does require some kids who can move well (since they're on skates) but has good roles for females. I think Theatrical Rights is who has the rights...?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-03-2014 13:58
    I just realized you said BIG cast. Sorry. Xandu is not that big. Aida? There are 3 girls with solos but only 2 of them are "big" parts. It does call for a reasonably large ensemble though. Maybe Oklahoma!?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-03-2014 14:34
    Some of my favorites are Crazy for You (There's Polly, Bela and Irene ) with a huge ensemble cast and Seusical (With Gertrude, Mayzie, The Sour Kangaroo and Jojo could also be played by a girl). But there's also Les Mis, Bye Bye Birdie, The Drowsy Chaperone, Legally Blonde, even Anything Goes!
    Hope that helps(:
    Rachel Gatewood
    McKinney TX

• 6.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-03-2014 21:34
    What about 9 to 5? A school in our area recently did the show with a large cast, and there are 3 strong female roles. Just a thought! ------------------------------------------- Denise Connor English/Drama Teacher Montoursville PA -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 10:26
    Here are some suggestions:
    • Me and My Girl
    • Curtains
    • Thoroughly Modern Millie
    • No, No, Nanette
    • Hello Dolly

Best,
    Ruben

Ruben Van Kempen
    Washington
    Seattle Public Schools
    Seattle WA

• 8.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 07:34
    I did Into the Woods a couple of years ago, the full version, and it was fun.  Little Shop of Horrors has strong female singers (especially the doo-who girls). 

Richard Cohan
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Fairview Park City Schools
    Olmsted Falls OH

• 9.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-06-2014 18:22

"Thoroughly Modern Millie!" Cast can be huge. Millie needs a strong vocal mix, Miss Dorothy Brown needs to have easily accessible high notes and Muzzy needs low notes/torch song qualities. All three have a chance to shine. I had amazing girls for all three this year and it was a blast to produce.

"Once Upon a Mattress" also allows Winnifred, Lady Larken & Queen Aggravain to shine in their own unique ways.
    Suzanne Livesay
    7-12 Grade Theatre Director
    Orlando FL

• 10.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 08:09
    My kids and I just finished The Drowsy Chaperone and we had a blast!  There are definitely more than 3 strong roles for women.  It's also got strong male roles - even one for a non-singing guy.  And, the ensemble is fun and gets to be creative.  There are some dance requirements, but they're more fun than difficult if you work through them.  We continue to get lots of praise for this performance even though we did the show in early April.  I think it came off so well because we enjoyed working on it so much!

Cyndi LeDoux
    Maryland
    Waldorf MD

• 11.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 08:20
    We did Chicago this year.  The rights are through Samuel French.  It does have three female leads and one strong male lead.

Nancy Gibson
    Theatre Director
    Garland ISD
    Garland TX

• 12.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 08:32

Awesome responses!  Thanks.  This is for next March.  We like challenging shows, though I tailor the challenge to be a little beyond the general level of my anticipated cast. Past shows have included West Side Story, Fiddler, Drood, Music Man, Guys & Dolls, Urinetown, Zombie Prom, Forum, Pirates of Penzance.  The last two years were WSS & Fiddler.  We have a very capable cast in the pipeline for next year.  Strongly considering Les Mis, Chicago, Anything Goes - maybe R&H's Cinderella? Wizard of Oz (the version with the rotating bridge - though my set guy seems to think we need a ton of money to make a set for this show...)
    Thoughts?

Jeff Davis

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 13.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 10:19
    I think one of the best shows when you have lots of strong females is Fiddler on the Roof.  You have Golde, the daughters, Yente ... lots of juicy roles!  But perhaps you've been there, done that.

Another great choice is Jane Eyre.  It's been my favorite musical we've ever done.  Great roles for lyric singers, no belting necessary!  Jane, Bertha, Mrs. Fairfax, Blanche Ingram, Aunt Reed, Adele, Helen Burns ... all great roles.  You do need a very strong male for Edward.  There are lots of smaller roles for the girls at Lowood School who can also double as party guests later.  

Kelly Goley
    Charlotte NC

• 14.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 10:22
    Fiddler
    Boyfriend
    Legally Blonde
    but the most fun I've had directing such a show is: Thoroughly Modern Millie.  It's brilliant!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head
    Chattanooga TN

• 15.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 12:34
    Hi Jeffrey,

If you'd like to look at CURTAINS or ALL SHOOK UP, I'd be happy to e-mail a complimentary perusal script to you (or anyone else). They each feature 5 female leads and 10+ chorus numbers, providing a lot of work for a large cast. You can read more about them and listen to song samples on the TRW website, www.theatricalrights.com. You can contact me directly at licensing@theatricalrights.com.

Jim Hoare
    Director of Licensing
    TRW
    New York NY

• 16.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 13:32
    We did R&H's Cinderella (Enchanted version) this past April. I like the Enchanted version because it's more comedic. Strong female leads include Cinderella, Stepmother, two Step-sisters. The queen doesn't have a ton of lines but does have a song with the king and a few song lines with the prince. This version can be so over the top! We had a blast! I would check on licensing right away because they're a little stingy with the rights to do it because it's on tour right now. ------------------------------------------- Connie Sandoz Theatre Director Henderson NV -------------------------------------------

• 17.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-04-2014 21:48
    We did Thoroughly Modern Millie a few years ago and it was a blast.  Great roles for multiple women.  Fantastic possibilities for an ensemble cast.  It is a winner.

Dana Milne
    Tucson AZ

• 18.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-05-2014 09:43
    The Drowsy Chaperone
    Legally Blonde
    Oklahoma
    Carousel
    Hello Dolly
    Fiddler on the Roof

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 19.  RE: Big cast musical with 3 or more good female parts

Posted 06-05-2014 10:32
    I directed THE PAJAMA GAME about five years ago and had a blast.  It was the perfect fit for my students which had many strong females in the ranks.  The characters of Babe, Mabel and Gladys are excellent leading characters. In addition, there are wonderful supporting players who work in the factory:  Mae, Poopsie, Brenda, Virginia, and others.  Lots of opportunities for solos and dialogue to be spread amongst your cast. 

Adam Pankow
    West Fargo Sheyenne High School
    West Fargo, ND