Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays every HS and MS theatre student should read?

Posted 04-14-2022 08:16

I am currently a member of our district's 5-12 theatre curriculum development cadre.  One question we have been asked and really wish to pursue is a collective list of plays.  

Our language arts department has been receiving classroom collections of independent high interest reading novels instead of purchasing very expensive textbooks. We are trying to develop a similar concept for our theatre teachers in the buildings. In addition we don't want to reinvent the wheel. Do any of the members here have lists? A resources that we could contact? Connections?  

Thanks in advance. Any help you provide will be appreciated! 

------------------------------
    James Fewer
    Director, Sponsor
    Southridge High School
    OR

• 2.  RE: Plays every HS and MS theatre student should read?

Posted 04-15-2022 11:17
    James, knowing that my middle school students will be studying Shakespeare in high school I read the play "William's Window" with them in 7th grade.  It is two acts and is a great overview of who Shakespeare is and the types of plays he wrote.  I have students act out the Shakespeare scenes.  A little R&J, Taming of the Shrew, MacBeth, Henry IV, and Midsummer Night's Dream.  The students also watch clips from each of these.  We have great topical discussions. I will always keep this book in my curriculum.

Ryan Briggs
    Drama Teacher
    Leestown Middle School
    KY