Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-02-2017 14:25
    I am in the market for a new light board. Our auditorium is rented out by a local church and they are CONSTANTLY messing with my cues for shows. It's also used by dance, band, athletics, avid, and every other group on campus. I would like to get a new board that has multiple profiles so that we can each have our own without worrying about someone cueing over what is already set.

I don't have a budget set yet because I want to browse prices. I'd like to see if the troupe can go halfsies with the school or church.

Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-02-2017 15:22
    How many lights do you have, and what is the mix of conventional and LED/intelligent?

It's hard to wrong with ETC. We have an Element, and that's able to handle our 70 conventional lights and about 20 LEDs.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-03-2017 06:35
    Please contact me directly, I may have just the solution for ya! 

Peter 
    Mrfroe@yahoo.com

Peter Froehlingsdorf
    Director
    ISD 709
    Duluth MN

• 4.  RE: Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-03-2017 08:46
    We have ETC Ion and it is very user friendly. My students love it. ETC has a great website - Etccoonect. They offer an excellent support system and extensive training. I recommend ETC!

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 5.  RE: Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-03-2017 09:58
    It depends on what you are controlling, but I agree you can't go wrong with ETC. They have a variety of choices from the Nomad, which you can use to turn your computer into a light board, the Element, which I think is a great board for students, or the Ion which makes life easy if you use a lot of moving lights, etc. It all depends on what you need it to do? Perhaps you can tell us more about your current system?

Sean Blauvelt
    Arroyo Grande CA

• 6.  RE: Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-03-2017 23:01
    The ETC Ion... state-of-the-art. Inexpensive. Easy to use (as far as lighting consoles go)... and you can't beat their customer and tech service. ETC will answer ANY question over the phone at ANY time and offers courses to learn on a console for super reasonable prices in both NYC and LA.
    We just bought one for our high school theatre program and I attended the NYC courses and I couldn't be happier with our decision. 

--
    ---

Mr. Michael Maguire

Morristown High School
    Technology Education Department 
    Graphic Design • Broadcasting: Film & TV • Wood Design & Technology

MHS Theatre, Producing Artistic Director

This email and any attached information ("email") is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed in the body of the email. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error, and any review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please immediately notify the system manager, sender or the Morris School District by telephone or email and permanently delete the original email and remove all copies from your system.

• 7.  RE: Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-03-2017 19:07

You'll also want to make sure you have a Rep Plot, so that not only do cues not get messed with but so that lights do not get re-hung and re-focused, which will in turn mess with your cues.  A good rep plot will allow for all types of events in your theatre.

Here's something I've written before about rep plots:

"Although every event that comes into a theatre is unique, there is a way to provide a lighting system that can easily be applied to many uses of the space with only small adjustments that need to be made for specific requirements of a show or event. This is called a Rep Plot (short for Repertory Plot). A Rep Plot is a standardized lighting system, which is versatile for almost all performances and can be easily adapted to provide lighting for any event from class meetings, speakers, film presentations, variety shows, band and choir concerts to plays, musicals and dance recitals, while allowing for show-specific flexibility within a reasonable time frame."

Here's something I've written before about light boards (sorry, it's pasted as all one paragraph...):

THE LIGHT BOARD If you are considering purchasing a new light board, or if you are designing a theatre, you will be faced with the decision of what board to choose. You don't want to be in a situation such as the example in the introduction where the light board is too high tech to be of any practical use in a high school theatre. For instance, if you don't foresee purchasing $2000.00 moving lights for your high school theatre, and having a professional career training program for a student lighting crew, then there is no need to have a light board sophisticated enough to control moving lights. Leave that for when the vocational student gets to university or starts an apprenticeship. Another thing to avoid is a small light board has a multitude of functions. Some of these compact boards have so many functions that they've had to get very creative in how to access each function that it makes it too difficult for students to learn and retain how a basic board works. Be careful that the light board that you spec or purchase doesn't have too many steps/modes to go through just to perform simple functions such as patching, recording, play back, etc. Some light board these days don't have faders for channels and rely only on key pad entry. The choice of whether to go with one of these boards depends on the uses of your theatre and who the users will be. I personally find key pad entry too slow. When I'm designing lights I talk pretty fast and I want my light board operator to keep up. I grit my teeth when I say "Bring channel 46 to 80 percent" and I have to wait to hear tap (Channel), tap (4), tap (6), tap (@), tap (8), tap (0), tap (Enter/*), when the light board op could have just reached over an in one movement moved a fader to 80. Of course, these days kids are so used to completing tasks electronically instead of physically, and there can be reasons why you would want a key pad entry in a more sophisticated situation. Again, it boils down to planning ahead and questioning who are your users and what are the uses of your board. At least with a board with faders the operator has the option to use faders or the key pad, but with a board with only a key pad the operator does not have that option. In addition, also watch out for light boards that don't use standard industry nomenclature, such as "Cues" and "Subs", for instance. Students don't learn the common terms that are used in the rest of the live theatre industry, and those who already know the common terms will have to re-learn a set of new terms. Again, state-of-the-art is not always the best choice for a high school theatre. When deciding on a light board remember to ask yourself these questions: • Will the theatre be primarily used by students who come and go every few years? • Will there be vocational training for students? • How many students a year will want to learn to be lighting technicians? • Will the theatre be staffed by professional technicians? • Will the technicians run the theatre, and/or work with the students? • Will the theatre be rented to outside users? • Who will staff outside events, professional staff or students? • Will outside users expected to be able to run their own lights? • Will outside users be permitted to use the theatre's equipment unsupervised? • Who will restore the equipment each time in preparation for the next user? There is a school of thought that high school students should have the best technology available because they will soon go to a college or get a job where this technology is used and they will have a head start. However, in a high school setting, usually the need to have an easy to learn light board trumps the need to have the best technology. This is primarily because most high school theatre departments have students who come and go. If you're lucky you will have a freshman come in with a keen interest in lighting and stay for four years. But what usually happens is that either students come in expressing an interest and soon discover it's not for them, or a student who is passionate has always thought the Drama program was only for actors, and only discovers tech in his/her junior or senior year. In addition, most typical Drama teachers don't know much tech. They take one look at the light board and leave it up to a student to figure out. Regardless of what light board you have it's best to hire professional technicians who will be there to mentor the students, which allows the Drama teacher to get on and do what they do best which is teaching acting, and directing students.

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Summer Session starts June 12. Spaces still available.

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Rep Plot; a step-by-step guide"

www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 8.  RE: Looking to purchase new light board

Posted 05-04-2017 08:47
    ETC.  I'm in your position with a church, school land multiple groups using the board.  Fortunately for me, the church purchases our board and drives the level of tech in the room, which is pretty high.  We have moved up the line from fairly basic ETC boards to super deluxe now.  Multiple shows have always been programed on it with password access for each show.  Programing can get pretty complex and needs a computer brain rather than a hands on tech type.  The boards are $$$ so they'll be glad to come out and talk to you about your needs.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga