Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Good Kids...

Posted 05-14-2018 21:49
    Has anyone done the play Good Kids at the high school level? I am concerned about the subject matter.
    Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Good Kids...

Posted 05-15-2018 07:55
    I am looking at it for next year. I don't have any particular concerns but my community would embrace it. What are you worried about?

------------------------------
    William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 3.  RE: Good Kids...

Posted 05-15-2018 07:57

I almost did it this year. Admin approved it since it deals with an issue that some of our students face, but, for various reasons, my strongest students weren't too keen on the play (it wasn't necessarily the subject matter) We went with a comedy instead, which was probably better suited to their strengths. We might put it on next year if our first choice (dealing with a similar topic) does not get approved.

The playwright – through the publisher – allowed us to cut it down for competition and remove almost all of the swear words. This happened very quickly- - I think I heard back on the cuttings within two days.

If we produce it, we will have an education component –an outside speaker, informational displays –and turn it into a fundraiser for an appropriate organization.

If you're interested, I can send you the cuts we made – there's a fair amount of repetition, so it wasn't too difficult to get it to 55 minutes (if you're considering this for competition).

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Good Kids...

Posted 05-17-2018 14:36
    We just closed it. We actually did it at NJ ThesFest for chapter select and got such a good response that we created The Good Kids Project. Then we toured it over the state.

We had 1 parent complaint but our BOE backed us since it is based on a true story and is about high school kids. We agreed to reciting a disclaimer prior to the show. We also had the local sexual assault group come out and have a table at our show and contribute to the talkback after the show.

If you end up doing it and need talkback questions or anything else, let me know. Clittle@trschools.com

It truly is an amazing piece. My kids got so much out of Performing it.

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------