Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-28-2017 20:40
    Hello, Theatre Colleagues,
    I need some advice/direction...our Tech Director is also an English teacher at our high school. While he doesn't have a theatre degree, he has been doing the tech end of things for the last seven years and does a nice job. He has also developed curriculum for an Introduction to Tech Theatre class which is now in its second year.
    Recently, admins and HR  told him that because he isn't an HQT or "Highly Qualified Teacher for the tech course, he wouldn't be allowed to teach it anymore. When he asked what he needed to do to become qualified, no one had any answers for him. HR said that it wasn't in their area of expertise so we should check with the Ohio Department of Education.He did that with no one knowing exactly what he needed.  Bottom line is that NO ONE has been able to give us clear answers on  what he needs to do or even if there is a way he could get a tech theatre certificate. 
    My question...has this issue ever come up with anyone else? Any suggestions? When he graduated from college, he was told that he would be able to teach theatre classes...but clearly, that isn't the case. Without direction or a clear set of guidelines, it appears that the tech class with be eliminated next year. 
    Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

------------------------------
    Cynthia Macioce
    Drama Instructor/Master Teacher
    Visual/Performing Arts, Chair
    Gahanna Lincoln High School
    Gahanna, Ohio

• 2.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-29-2017 07:40
    My guess is the safety component is missing. This is strange but I'm sure your department of education for the state would know what needs to be on his certification for teaching.  Although he has the expertise, the state only looks at the license.  If it were an independent school, different story. 

[David] [Valdes]
    [Director of Theatre/Arts Administrative Asst.]
    [Miami Country Day School ]
    [Miami] [Florida]

• 3.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-29-2017 08:11

Good Morning!

I'm an Art certified teacher teaching theatre...... I was one class short of a Theatre Minor in undergrad...After that I went and got an MFA in Production and Design. I was teaching Theatre in PA and after two years mid year they decided I wasn't allowed. Personally, I believe they needed me to teach for another teacher who was going out on maternity....But of course they would never admit that.. so mid year all my classes were dropped and I had to go teach another course I was not prepared to do at such short notice...

I was very upset. I was in the process of producing , designing, and being the Tech Director for our Spring Musical as well...

Looking further into things.. the district was not helpful and did not tell me what I needed..They told me I couldn't reach it,but couldn't telle what certificate I needed. . I figured out that a Communications a certificate covered Theatre. If my memory serves me correctly when I was at BGSU near Toledo Ohio, theatre was in the Communications Dept.
    Well...So I signed up to take the Communities praxis and did an add on... So the morning of dry tech for our show, I took the test bright and early..And then strolled off to the theatre to sit in the dark for the rest of the day...

Wishing you the best!

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Pittsburgh Brashear High School
    Photography/Theatre
    Pittsburgh Pa

• 4.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-29-2017 10:01
    He probably needs to take the Praxis 2 for theater to be able to add theater to his certification. 

Rachel Sparks
    Ches Beach MD

• 5.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-29-2017 10:13
    Have him check with your ROE.  All that was required in ILL was to have a certain number of hours in theatre classes and then pass an exam for endorsement.

Ken Ruffalo
    Aurora IL

• 6.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-29-2017 12:21
    Does your state recognize Staqecraft Technology as a CTE course. If your tech person has sufficient professional experience he may qualify to teach tech without HQT status. His work at the school does not count, it has to be paid work done outside the school. His paid experience can be at community or professional theatre, or in carpentry. sound tech, etc.

Contact your district's CTE coordinator for details and requirement. If he qualifies, your tech person may have to take some some classes and pay a fee. 

Hope this helps.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 7.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-29-2017 22:16

Everyone working with minors in tech theatre must be CTE certified, says Dept of L&I.

I can only address how it is here in Washington State, in the hopes that you have something similar in Ohio. It may be easier for him to get a CTE endorsement than a Theatre Arts endorsement. Here in WA as soon as you’ve taken the Intro to CTE course (which you can take online) then you are qualified to get your Provisional certification for two years as you take the other courses. You can even get a two year extension. If your TD doesn’t have a Theatre Degree, he may need to go back to school for that route (I’m not sure if the Praxis alone would be sufficient, but maybe?). However a Theatre Arts endorsement is not a CTE endorsement.

It seems states are – finally - cracking down on recognizing that tech theatre is a CTE course, and as someone mentioned, it’s likely because of the safety factors. This is good and bad. Good because it gives us validation as a viable vocational subject, bad because number one the ‘Muggles’ don’t really understand what we do and so make ill informed decisions, and number two because people who are qualified because of experience suddenly aren’t qualified on paper. It’s because the Department of Labor and Industries says, for safety reasons, that no minor shall be doing the type of labor we do in tech theatre (working at heights, working with ‘hoisting equipment’, using power tools, and so on) unless they are in a bona fide vocational program. In our case, a CTE class.

But, get this… I am a high school Theatre Manager (and I have a Theatre Arts certification), and while I don’t teach any classes, I am the advisor for the ASB Tech Theatre Club, and I do work with students in the theatre. So I inquired about becoming CTE certified. I was informed by the WA state superintendent’s office that “Since the program isn’t funded with state or federal CTE funds and doesn’t appear to be a credit-bearing class, OSPI’s requirement that the instructor be CTE certified doesn’t apply.” I inquired further at my district, and I was informed “CTE certification is not necessary for your current role.  Therefore, provisional certification is not necessary.”  A fellow teacher in another school, who does have the Provisional CTE certification, who recently wanted to purchase something with CTE funds for her Tech Theatre class was told by the district “you do not have a CTE class this year because the class is offered 7th period and we do not fund 7th period classes.”

You can see the disconnect here. The Dept of L&I says:

the rule is that minors doing these activities must be in a CTE course,

but the state and the district are saying:

because the minors aren’t in a CTE course, the rule doesn’t apply.

What!?

I think there’s going to be a disconnect for a while as states and districts try to understand just what we do behind the scenes in tech theatre, and while all of us who do tech theatre with students (whether in a formal class setting or not) get CTE certified – as we should be, according to the Dept of L&I. If it is at all possible, I recommend that your TD get the CTE endorsement on his certificate on his own – if only to cover his own anatomy. (If anyone reading this is not already a certificated teacher, you can, as someone mentioned, approach it from the industry route.) Remember also, that a Theatre Arts endorsement is not a CTE endorsement.

Here is the link to South Seattle Community College’s CTE teacher education courses. It’s mostly online, but there are some Saturday classes, although I believe in the past they may have helped people in other states, so check with them, or look for a similar course in your state. http://www.southseattle.edu/programs/continuing-education/cte/

Beth Rand
    Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "High School Theatre Safety Manual"
    High School Theatre Manager
    HS Theatre Management Coach and Instructor - next class starts March 27.
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 8.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-30-2017 07:24
    I have tried for years to get highly qualified, but the Ohio Department of Education wouldn't give me a clear direction.  I discovered that I would have to go through a college and earn classes that fit their degree program.  That was impossible for me because the community college in my area did not offer the courses I needed in the summer.  I couldn't take courses during the year because I teach and there are no online options in theatre.  I had credits from when I was taking my undergraduate and I earned credits here and there, but it didn't match a degree program.  After 5 years I decided it wasn't worth the stress!  I am very disappointed that there wasn't an easier way I could become highly qualified.  

Kayla Wilson

• 9.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-31-2017 07:34

This is clearly a problem in Ohio.  I have my HQT status due to my undergrad choices 20+ years ago.  My associate at our Freshman Campus, however, has faced problems similar to those you describe.  She was told she had to get HQT, contacted everyone she could think of, including ODE, and no one gave her a path to follow.  If anyone gets a better answer, we'd be interested in hearing it, too.

Kristen Statt

English 10, Theater Arts, Acting I, II, III

Thunderhawk Theater Director

755-7211 ext. 15147

*******PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL ************ 

This electronic message transmission contains information from the  Lakota Local School District that is privileged, confidential or  otherwise the exclusive property of the intended recipient or the  Lakota Local School District.  This information is intended for the  use of the individual or entity that is the intended recipient.  If you are not the designated recipient, please be aware that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic in error, please notify us by telephone(513) 644-1200, collect, or by electronic mail email@lakotaonline.com and promptly destroy the original transmission.  Thank you for your assistance.

Lakota Privacy Disclaimer

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL This electronic message transmission contains information from the Lakota Local School District that is privileged, confidential or otherwise the exclusive property of the intended recipient or the Lakota Local School District. This information is intended for the use of the individual or entity that is the intended recipient. If you are not the designated recipient, please be aware that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please notify us by telephone(513) 644-1200, collect, or by electronic mail email@lakotaonline.com and promptly destroy the original transmission. Thank you for your assistance.

Lakota Local Schools

• 10.  RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Posted 01-31-2017 11:19
    According the the law that created "Highly Qualified Teachers" (NCLB) all that is required is a bachelor's degree, a state certification and proof of content knowledge.  

In my state, that is just a simple as the Praxis content exam.  An English teacher could pick up that endorsement by simply taking and passing the exam.

Jeremy Riggs
    Theatre Teacher
    Blue Valley North