Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 07-20-2020 12:35
    Looking for some theatre games for high school level actors that can be effectively done on Zoom.   Or looking for resources of theatre games that can be done on zoom.  I have found some wonderful games that would be more effective for lower grade levels - but nothing that would be geared more toward high school.

--
    Ted Curry MSOD
    St. Ignatius College Preparatory
    2001 37th Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94116

• 2.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 07-20-2020 17:28
    Hi Ted,
    I just watched the Edta Pro Webinar on Improv (recorded this past May) https://learn.schooltheatre.org/products/improve-your-improv  and they demonstrated about 6 familiar games modified for zoom.  It was great!  They did a mirror exercise, 3 changes, an advice game called "the good, bad, and ugly",  a dating game variation called "Speed Friending", Alphabet Speech, a game called "Press conference" and an object endowment exercise.  After seeing the webinar I already have ideas on how to modify other games.  It also demonstrates how to use the chat for generating audience suggestions and selecting volunteers. 

Thank you and great job to everyone who created the webinar!

------------------------------
    Tiffany Daily
    San Mateo CA

• 3.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 07-22-2020 11:46
    This was fantastic!  Fun and full of ideas that you can use Day 1.  Highly recommend it for theatre and improvisation teachers remotely teaching or in person.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 4.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 07-23-2020 09:35
    Check out the library on this community. I submitted 11 or so sessions for Distance Ensemble Experiences, which a teacher can use for achieving an ensemble with middle or high school students even at a distance. The experience can be tweaked to fit a class's or cast's needs. 
    Enjoy. Reach out if you have a question. 

• 5.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 07-21-2020 14:36

Hey Ted, 

I would love to hear some of those games for the younger kids. 

Thanks. Good luck out there.

Greg Cote
    Theatre Teacher
    Houston TX

• 6.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 07-21-2020 18:03
    There are many theatre/improv games that work well for the virtual format!  My advanced improv class produced a show as their final project for the semester.  Those watching were able to offer suggestions through the comments feature. Here is their show if you want to check it out.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfPvESNLBI&t=7s  One excellent resource for games is the  http://improvencyclopedia.org/ 

Good luck and have fun!

Ron Parker, theatre educator

Appleton North High School
    Renaissaince School for the Arts

Ron Parker
    Theatre Educator
    Appleton WI

• 7.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 08-16-2020 14:39
    @Ted Curry

I am especially interested in how to modify For Zoom the Acting Games I already use for 5th-8th Grade

Maria

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 8.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 08-16-2020 15:09
    The online webinar  that EdTA put together was great.   It centered me along the lines of storytelling.   

--
    Ted Curry MSOD
    St. Ignatius College Preparatory
    2001 37th Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94116

• 9.  RE: Distant Learning Theatre Games

Posted 08-24-2020 08:30
    I have to second the experiences others had with the webinar. It's also helped inspire how to adapt other games for online learning. I'm also planning to take a class next Sunday online called Improv/Theatre Games on Zoom for Theatre Educators. It's not free (it's $70), but I'm very hopeful after seeing comments in this forum about his last class.

Erin Philyaw
    Von Steuben MSC
    Chicago IL