Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Big Fish

Posted 12-17-2019 09:10
    Has seen Big Fish/done it with 2 different actors playing younger and older Edward and/or Sandra?

------------------------------
    Rachel Pringle
    Assistant Director
    Ferndale School District
    Ferndale WA

• 2.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 12-17-2019 16:06
    What a fantastic show to produce! I have not seen it performed with different actors playing young/old versions of those characters (as it is in the movie, but not written that way in the musical), BUT I produced it last year, and considered doing so, ultimately deciding against it. I really wanted to give more of my actors and singers opportunities by splitting the roles, but after reading and consideration, I personally felt that doing so would cause the overall story to suffer, and would probably create more problems than it would solve. I think that having the same actors play both ages of Edward and Sandra allows the arc of their characters and relationship to fully complete, especially in the end. Just my two cents.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 12-18-2019 08:51
    I think a lot of the magic of the piece would be lost if you were to split this roles in 2.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 12-19-2019 05:30
    We actually used 3 Edwards in our production: young adult/college, middle-aged and the elder. We were fortunate to have 3 students who were similar enough in build and feature and then we gave Edward a favorite hat and coat that he kept through the ages. We cast only 1 Sandra: It was his story to tell and she was the constant in his life.  It is a beautiful story and I believe a wonderful show for high school production! Best wishes :) https://paduafranciscan.com/big-fish/

Peace and blessings,

Tamara Plasterer
    Artistic Director, Fine Arts Dept. Chair.
    Padua Franciscan High School
    Parma OH