Open Forum

View Only

Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

• 1.  Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-26-2020 12:02
    Hi!
    trying  to continue Spring Musical Rehearsal.  Anyone know an online platform where I can run rehearsal tracks and all 30 sing at once?
    Good morning to you distant learning teachers!

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-26-2020 20:01
    Check out Zoom - handles large groups easily!

Cory Wilkerson
    Education Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Palmyra PA

• 3.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-27-2020 05:09
    I am loving zoom, but one drawback is that only one person can speak at a time. Very challenging for overlaps.

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 4.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-27-2020 09:39
    That’s the issue. I need 30 people to sing with a track at the same time. I have Zoom. It works well for speaking but not large group singing

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-28-2020 06:45
    I just saw something called Virtual choir.net. that might work for rehearsals. Check it out. Goodluck!

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 6.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-28-2020 12:50
    Thank you for this. I wasn't aware of it. We are going to explore.

Amy Luskey Barth
    Talon Theatre Artistic Director
    Director, Thespian Troupe 5524
    Santa Margarita Catholic High School

• 7.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-29-2020 11:45

The physics of network communications just really work against us here, if you are trying to get people to all sing at the same time. 

Even a lag of five hundreths of a second, which is pretty good, is just terrible for group singing,

All theses beautiful videos we see of a dozen or more singers singing at the same time is a bit of magic, wherein each has recorded themselves and then it was edited together to be amazing.  This blog entry explains it in detail

https://midnightmusic.com.au/2020/03/dear-music-teachers-please-stop-asking-how-to-create-a-virtual-choir-video/

It might be possible using land lines ... not on speaker mode (which changes it from synchronous to async)  ... but then you need some equipment to record it, and a service to have 30 people call a number, and all 30 to have a landline and and ...

Robert Forbes

Managing Director

Mountain Dream Productions

250 858 1053

www.mountaindreambc.com

Socialmedia3-horizontal

• 8.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-27-2020 09:42
    I have Zoom.  Looking for a platform to run MTPit track and 30 people sing at same time.  I'd like my kids to be able hear the track and each other

Melinda Carlson

• 9.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-29-2020 07:09
    Elisabeth that sounds like a setting you can change.  I think it may be that your meeting is in default settings of "active speaker" which will project only one at a time.  Try changing to gallery view and see if that works.  Here is a zoom tutorial about this topic.  

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-27-2020 08:24
    We are having great success with Zoom as well.

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 11.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-30-2020 15:41
    Hi Tina! Would you mind defining "great success?" Are you doing music?  I can get everyone up and seen but running the pace of a real rehearsal has not happened.

Nick Hoffa
    Drama Director
    South Pasadena Unified
    South Pasadena CA

• 12.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-27-2020 11:48

Hi Melinda. I share your frustration. I'm trying to rehearse Into the Woods over Zoom but have had no luck doing group vocal rehearsals. The lag and varied WiFi connections make it impossible. I have had success with solos only by having the actor use their rehearse score app singing with it. My MD tried playing piano  and having them sing but same issue! Didn't work.  Saturday I'm supposed to do a virtual run through... I think I'm going to make it more of a line /scene rehearsal and skip the music! This is very challenging. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed! Hang in there! Uncharted territory for us all. 
    Amy

Amy Luskey Barth

• 13.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-31-2020 10:06
    I have recently been shown an online service, jamkazam.com. It advertises as a way for bands to rehearse over the internet with nearly no lag. Maybe this could help?

Jonathan Davidson
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Milwaukee WI

• 14.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-31-2020 11:11

JAMKAZAM indicates that you CANNOT be on WIFI. 

It has Windows and Mac versions, but nothing for a portable device like phones and tablets. 

It doesn't look like it supports Chromebooks either.

The setup is indicated in this video from them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBo--aj_P1w

Robert Forbes

Managing Director

250 858 1053

www.mountaindreambc.com

Socialmedia3-horizontal

• 15.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 03-31-2020 21:26
    Robert Forbes is right with his two responses.  What everyone is looking for does not exist.  The videos you see of people from multiple locations singing together is made by each individual listening to the track through their earbuds/headphones and then recording their vocals acapella.  An individual then takes all the videos and lays them together on top of the instrumental track they were all listening to in their earbuds/headphones.  We have run rehearsals through zoom, knowing that the timing of the vocals was going to be off because of the varying internet speeds of our students, but it is all we have right now.  Readings are easy, but singing will never be ideal.  Regardless, this is the best option we have so go in with a positive attitude and make it the best experience possible for your kids.  Much love and light to you all.  Cheers!

Scott F. Cooney
    "Lover of Life"
    NJ State Thespian State Board
    CTE Acting/Theatre Instructor
    BCIT Medford Academy of Performing Arts
    Medford, NJ

• 16.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 04-01-2020 05:03
    When recording webinars on Zoom I have sometimes asked presenters to connect via their computers for visual  but connect to audio by telephone, this avoids the vocal lag.  Has anyone tried that and might it be a solution for a vocal rehearsal?  Bear in mind I have never tried to gather a group this way.

Cory Wilkerson
    Education Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Palmyra PA

• 17.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 04-05-2020 22:19
    Hey,

Did you have any luck working with Zoom? I have seen that when people perform these as separate recordings it works well. I have also heard that the Twitch application is more effective with sound quality and balance of singing and instruments. I will be looking at applying this to future rehearsals myself so I will be sure to keep people in the loop if it is more effective than Zoom.

Wish you the best of luck

Kaitlyn Eichler
    Clearwater FL

• 18.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 04-06-2020 00:40
    Based on the past 48 hours, I would think twice about using Zoom moving forward.  There are way too many security issues.  I am going to try out a few alternatives and will report back.

Scott F. Cooney
    "Lover of Life"
    NJ State Thespian State Board
    CTE Acting/Theatre Instructor
    BCIT Medford Academy of Performing Arts
    Medford, NJ

• 19.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 04-06-2020 01:14

Everyone has to find that which they are comfortable with, but having read several news articles from around the world, guidelines for ZOOM use published by USC, and of course the FBI notice, it is my considered opinion that this software is no worse or better than any others.   We continue to use it but have (before we even started) followed the guidelines: password protect every meeting, don't enable file sharing, don't enable recording, don't enable screen sharing, and turn off private chat between participants.   Only I have an account, none of the students have to have an account, and I actively discourage it.

It's less insidious than Facebook and TikTok and Instagram and Tellonym and ....

Here's two good links

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/boston/news/press-releases/fbi-warns-of-teleconferencing-and-online-classroom-hijacking-during-covid-19-pandemic

https://keepteaching.usc.edu/tools/zoombombing-resources/

Robert Forbes

Managing Director

250 858 1053

www.mountaindreambc.com

Socialmedia3-horizontal

• 20.  RE: Online rehearsal platform for 30 people

Posted 04-06-2020 10:47
    Good morning everyone.  So there are settings in Zoom that you can use to protect the group from "zoombombing." You can go in and create a waiting room which then allows you to admit only those whom you know.  I have continued to use Zoom from my own personal account and we have had no problems (not to say it can't happen.)  I'm going to be taking a webinar this morning on using Microsoft TEAMS.  Our school uses this platform. It has worked well for classes but I was only able to see 4 people at a time on it. If I learn anything that is applicable to our needs as directors I will pass it along.
    Hang in there! Have a good day.

Amy Luskey Barth