Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Question on cuttings for one acts

Posted 08-29-2021 22:15
    Hello there! First time Thespian director here. I seem to be a bit stressed out about scripts for the one act. I thought I had one picked out, but  when it came in the mail it was not the high school play the description promised. My school board is never going to approve cursing and sexual scenes. I ordered more scripts and requested rights for three scripts total, but I'm worried I won't get approved because despite all of them being advertised for high schools, all of them contain cursing and sexual suggestiveness. I want to start working on the play with my students, but I haven't heard a word from Concord Publishing a week after requesting rights/ emailing. What should I do? Competition is in late November and I need to start working with my team. This just seems to be such a difficult process.

------------------------------
    Mattie Henley
    Teacher
    Conway Christian School

• 2.  RE: Question on cuttings for one acts

Posted 08-30-2021 14:12
    Your State Troupe President should be able to help you with this. Some publishers allow cuts for competitions. Call the publisher to see if they have a form to fill out or can grant permission.

Amy Sando
    Douglas High School

• 3.  RE: Question on cuttings for one acts

Posted 08-31-2021 09:00
    I don't know if this helps, but I've never had cuts turned down. At least with Concord I've had to submit the exact cuts I wanted to make. I usually did this by sending in a pdf of the script with the cuts highlighted or crossed out. Last year I had to wait a few weeks to hear back from Concord - my guess is they had to get in touch with the playwright or the playwright's rep.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Question on cuttings for one acts

Posted 09-01-2021 07:20
    In my experience, cuts are much more likely to be approved by the publisher/playwright when it is for competition.  However, you are right that it can sometimes (often) be a difficult process and there is always the chance that they will say no.  You will find that certain playwrights and/or their estates are more rigid that others.

Response times from publishers will vary and it is always frustrating when it takes a long time.  My only advice is that some will have educational / K12 reps that you can email directly, or copy on your inquiries, and sometimes you get a faster response than the generic email which has to be directed to the right person etc.

Guy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown High School

• 5.  RE: Question on cuttings for one acts

Posted 09-01-2021 18:33
    Thank you all for your feedback! After some pestering on my end and following y'alls advice, I got the rights secured with cutting! Yay! Now I can spend my nights stressing about other things.

Mattie Henley
    Teacher
    Conway Christian School