Open Forum

View Only

Sealing the stage floor

• 1.  Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-16-2016 18:41

Does anyone use something to seal the paint treatment on the floor?  We're doing faux wood and stone treatments on the floor and I'm concerned about them getting super scuffed.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 2.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 06:17

Rosco Labs makes a clear coat, I recommend that over the top, Typically I will use the flat but they make a gloss as well.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 07:15
    An old technique that was very effective was to use powdered pigments with horse glue binder and then put a coat of floor wax over the top.
    Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle HS
    Standish, ME

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 4.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 09:31

If I do a floor I use a WATERBASED, usually Satin sealer.  It goes on kind of white, but dries clear.  It adds a bit of a sheen, but nothing like a semi gloss or something would.  It allows you to seal the paint, but you can sweep and mop it with no problem.

Shop Minwax Polycrylic Satin Base 32 fl oz Polyurethane at Lowes.com

Lowes remove preview
    Shop Minwax Polycrylic Satin Base 32 fl oz Polyurethane at Lowes.com
    Shop minwax polycrylic satin base 32 fl oz polyurethane in the polyurethanes section of Lowes.com.
    View this on Lowes >

Jeremy Ferman
    Theatre Director
    Mansfield TX

• 5.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 10:07

Can this sealer be painted over?

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School

• 6.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 11:45

Yep, you paint over it just like you would anything else.  

If you use oil based though, it's bad news.  Just make sure it is water based.  You will know if it is water based if the clean up instructions state cleaning with soap and water.  If it says clean with mineral spirits DO NOT USE IT.

Jeremy Ferman
    Theatre Director
    Mansfield TX

• 7.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 10:59

With respect, don't use wax.  The next coat of paint will not stick to it.  

Bob Sedoff
    Board member Mn chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina MN

• 8.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 22:39

Thank you!  We will definitely stay away from wax.  Our custodians once thought they were doing me a favor by waxing the stage floor - over the set we had taped out.  We couldn't get the tape off and it took over a year for the wax to wear off.  Never again!!

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 9.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-17-2016 14:59

Thin water based polyurethane 4 to 1-- yes, 4 to 1 and apply with a new roller sleeve.  Next time, the floor is painted, you will have to rough up the poly with a drywall screen on a pole.  We just have the whole class do this part-- takes about 10 minutes.  Alternatively, you can use glaze, which is hard to find but can be made with white glue and water again about 4 (water) to 1.  The nice thing about the glaze is that it does not need to be roughed up or removed next time, most of it will wear off anyway by the end of two weeks.

Each of these can be tinted as well, which is kind of nice, if the floor turns out too bright or too yellow, for example, it can be tinted down with blue or gray.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 10.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-19-2016 21:51

Have you considered using a floor drop?  Many theatres lay-down a canvas drop and paint the floor scene on that.  The advantage to this method is that the stage floor can remain black with little maintenance.  The drop is secured around the edges with gaffer's tape, and maybe a few strips of double-sided tape in the middle to keep it from wrinkling.  It makes clean-up a lot easier, and costs little more than the extra gallons of black paint and the labor of repainting (everyone complains about not having enough time - why not save some time - it's valuable!).  if you do several shows a year this can add-up quickly.

Another advantage is if your show run is not continuous - maybe 2-3 consecutive weekends - then the drop can be rolled-up and the stage remains available for other users (band, dance, assemblies, etc.) during the interim.  Similarly, if you have the space, the drop can be painted in the scene shop or black-box theatre, or off in a wing (do many HS theatres have any substantial wing space?  I hardly ever see a wing area that is large enough to allow you to move a whole set offstage), while the actors are rehearsing on-stage.

Also, if you are building a traveling show that may go to another campus or to the municipal auditorium to be presented, then the portability of a painted floor is a must.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 11.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-20-2016 07:45

I'm interested in a floor drop. How do you get it tight enough so it doesn't wrinkle? Whenever I've tried it it gets wrinkles and makes walking difficult. Love the idea and I've seen them put down at the Metropolitan Opera.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 12.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-21-2016 23:19

Try sing 8 Oz canvas and sizing with laundry starch and water.  Lynn Pectal has a great book if you can find it.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 13.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-22-2016 12:45

I just did a web search for ground cloth theatre and came up with several sources of information, including this one:  http://www.rosco.com/spectrum/index.php/2016/05/painting-a-heavenly-groundcloth/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 14.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-22-2016 16:17
      |   view attached

Here's a photo of our latest effort in progress.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 15.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-23-2016 21:18

Michael - Beautiful floor! Did your students do that? I would love it if you would share brief instructions for your technique!

Megan D'Orvilliers
    Coral Springs FL

• 16.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-24-2016 07:46

My concern isn't painting the groundcloth but making it secure to the stage floor so that it doesn't wrinkle or move. What do you use? 

Thanks.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 17.  RE: Sealing the stage floor

Posted 10-24-2016 20:17

We paint our floors on Tempered Hardboard which floats on the stage floor and is taped together to create the surface.

For this wood floor, I started by painting the floor with the lightest tone I am looking to get in the final product.  Next, draw lines for the separate planks with water soluble marker.  Then, use the remaining paint from that first coat to make a glaze that is the consistency of table cream.  We used this glaze, a brown and black.  Next, using a brush on a stick, apply the glaze between the lines you want to work on (we do this plank by plank).  Get some brown on your brush and draw off most of the paint; working in one direction: apply the brown and draw the length of the plank.  Repeat until you get the tone you're looking for.  If you get too much, draw off with a clean brush.  Vary these tones with random degrees of black, brown and the original tone/  Leave the imperfections and look for the brush to create a wood grain effect.  Lastly, glaze over the surface.  In this case, we used a bit of black to dull out the floor and worked in one direction to further increase the wood graining effect.

My Technical Theater Class does most of our scenic work.

Thanks

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC