Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theater Class as English Credit?

Posted 11-14-2016 18:31

Greetings All! 

I want to advocate for my Theater I classes to be counted as an English credit instead of an FPA credit. I think this would help me build the Theater program, and I would still count Theater 2-4 as FPA credit. I am interested in other people's experiences with this, any research available, or simply your opinions.

With Respect,

------------------------------
    Terrin Musbach
    Theatre/Language Arts Teacher
    Green River, WY

• 2.  RE: Theater Class as English Credit?

Posted 11-15-2016 06:27

When I first started teaching 17 years ago, our theatre classes (of which there were only 2) were both English credits. It meant that my classes were much more about play and character analysis than acting or stage craft. It was fine, but I don't feel it brought more kids, it was actually less, as it was perceived as "less fun" when it was English. We worked very hard to get it moved to Fine Arts (and add more levels). Four years ago I got my English certification too, and I will say that the pressure in a tested-area is absurd. However, your curricular requirements for a high-stakes tested area might be very different than mine are nowadays. 17 years ago I could get away with less literature in Theatre class. If it was under the English umbrella now, there is no way I could.

April Fritts
    Teacher
    Cecil County Public Schools
    Havre de Grace MD

• 3.  RE: Theater Class as English Credit?

Posted 11-15-2016 08:17

Though, when I was hired I was told "5 sections of drama to do with what you want," I ended up with 4 sections of "drama one," where 90% (literally) of the students were put in without their consent because they didn't have an elective and needed to fill a hole in their schedule. I did have 14 "advanced drama" students...but they were just shoved into one of the drama one sections (making it 42 students total, btw). 

I adapted my curriculum to be more of an "intro to theatre," since I knew I needed to reach the "Hi, my name is Amy and I"m DROPPING THIS CLASS the second I get out of here" students. So we study the structure and the characters and yes, even the vocabulary of our plays. I am currently lobbying for it to be a choice between fine arts or English credit, as I am English credentialed. 

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 4.  RE: Theater Class as English Credit?

Posted 11-15-2016 12:05

I may have a different situation than you, but here is my experience. I actually worked to get the English credit removed from the Drama class this year, and I am happy I did. In the previous three years, I only had one Drama class: Beginning Drama. It could've been counted as an arts credit, an elective credit, or for Seniors only, an English credit. The problem was, the class always ended up getting filled with seniors because they get to sign-up for classes first. The problem is, most of these kids had little to no interest in theatre, and were only taking it because it had the perception of being "easy" (though some were certainly mistaken about that). Though all of our plays are produced through an after-school program, I found it difficult to build my program when underclassmen were unable to take the class because it was always overfull with seniors.

This year, I was able to lobby to get an Advanced Drama class in addition to the Beginning Drama class, and now my Beginning Drama class has more freshmen than anyone else, and only two seniors. I've already seen it reap rewards this year, as I was able to build interest among the freshmen and cast a bunch of freshmen in our fall show. I guess if you have a really big program, this may not be an issue for you, but it has made a big difference for me.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 5.  RE: Theater Class as English Credit?

Posted 11-15-2016 12:20

Your district may be different than mine, but speaking as someone who teaches English and Theater, I really struggle with these types of mergers.  My English class will struggle to meet all of our standards, four quarterly benchmark tests, district exit exams, and we only do English each day.  If I had to take time out for rehearsals and acting coaching, we would never make it.  Our district also tracks student progress year to year, and next year's English teacher will look at me sideways if my students come in unprepared.  I wouldn't want that pressure on my theater class.  As a district, we've discussed this in regards to other subjects wanting math credits, or the famous Marching Band as P.E.

I don't want to be a downer and your district may be different, but that's my two cents.  My theater class would never be able to cover the standards and teach theater by the end of the year.

Richard
    Phoenix AZ

• 6.  RE: Theater Class as English Credit?

Posted 11-15-2016 15:59

My theatre class was always counted as an English elective (which a few students who were in neither band nor choir and didn't take a visual arts class used to complete their fine arts requirement).  However, despite attempts to change their mind, the NCAA would not accept the theatre class a part of meeting the English/Language Arts requirement for NCAA college admission.

Mark Quinlan

Theater Director, Head Speech Coach

Centennial High School

763-792-5099

finearts@isd12.org

• 7.  RE: Theater Class as English Credit?

Posted 11-15-2016 19:47

​It might fly as an English elective, but I know that my state would never approve it as an English credit, partly due to the Common Core standards and then the testing that our state requires in ELA for graduation. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    392-1543

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford