Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Assessment

Posted 05-30-2014 07:15
    I am looking for ideas for an assessment/rubric for student directors.  Any ideas?

-------------------------------------------
    Nancy Curtis
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Virginia Beach VA

• 2.  RE: Assessment

Posted 05-31-2014 07:32
    Hey Nancy, I get guest judges for my Student Directed One Act presentation and have them use the VHSL form. I also use a weekly directing rubric for them to make sure they are staying on task it includes things like: 

Student used rehearsal time wisely and kept focused on the work.

Student gave direction well so the actor was able to work toward his/her vision.  The student worked hard to try to communicate their vision.

Director was professional and positive in rehearsals, had a great attitude and was well prepared overall.

Director was always prepared for rehearsals with their plan, attendance log, script and a pencil.

Director wrote down all blocking and notes so they remembered the direction they had given.

And all these are categorized as All the time, Most of the time, Hardly ever, and  Never.

Additionally, my students get a grade for a Production Binder they must turn in within a week of show. I'd be happy to share everything I've got with you. I've also got rubrics for just scene work and rubrics for Director's to complete about their Actor's weekly work to help them learn to be objective.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools
    New Kent VA

• 3.  RE: Assessment

Posted 06-02-2014 14:33
    In case it might be useful, here is the evaluation sheet used for the Student-Directed Scene category at the Florida State Thespian Festival:

http://flthespian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-CRITIQUE-SHEETS-Portfolio-R2.pdf

(It's the last icon in the batch.)

It might make a little more sense within the context of the category's rules, which you can read here:

http://flthespian.com/individual-events/student-directed-scene-rules

I use the rules and the sheet (with some slight modifications) when I have advanced students direct one-acts in class.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 4.  RE: Assessment

Posted 06-03-2014 08:14
    Jeff, I was interested in looking at your links, but they didn't seem to work.  Might be a problem on my end.  Just thought I'd let you know.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 5.  RE: Assessment

Posted 06-04-2014 14:04
    Sorry about the links.

For the evaluation sheet, go to www.flthespian.com.  On the black menu running across the page near the top, click on "Individual Events."  On the next page, find the line near the top that reads, "For a copy of all the critique sheets ..." and click on the words "Click Here" immediately following.

For the category rules, go to the same "Individual Events" page, then, on the menu of "IE's & Rules" on the right-hand side of the page, scroll down and click on "Student-Directed Scene Rules."

Hope this helps!

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL