Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Who has done Peter and the Starcatcher?

Posted 11-28-2017 13:58
    Thinking about doing Peter and the Starcatcher and wondering what other people’s experiences with it were? What are the pros and cons? I have seen it once but they were having major tech issues it was kind of hard to get the feel of the show. I really want to do something newer different and I’m thinking this might be a good option.

• 2.  RE: Who has done Peter and the Starcatcher?

Posted 11-28-2017 16:18
    Hello Jordanne,

We did the show last year and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If done in the style, meaning, intent of the original production the show is a marvelous romp.  The music does present a small challenge, but now I believe there is a track available (it's been mentioned somewhere in another thread).

You can email me directly at theatreartsteach@gmail.com for more details if you wish.

Definitely do the show!

Good tidings,
    Aaron

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

All Things Zombie: Original T-Shirts, Games, Movies, and More!

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 3.  RE: Who has done Peter and the Starcatcher?

Posted 11-29-2017 10:10
    I genuinely think it's one of the greatest shows ever written. It's extremely fun to work on -- both for directors and performers alike. There's also a lot of room for students to use their imaginations and develop new ways of creating onstage "magic." Yes, there are standard go-to's that can be used if none of your ideas are panning (pun totally intended) out. But I've loved going to see productions that create moments (the flying cat, the run through the forest, Mister Grin the Crocodile) in a completely new and different way. It's a fantastic opportunity to just let your students play in the rehearsal room.

In terms of challenges, the pacing in the first twenty minutes can be BRUTAL. If your students aren't super-quick on their line pick-ups and don't keep their energy high the entire time, it'll definitely feel like a slog to the audience. Everything gets much more lively once Black Stache is introduced (and Act 2 flies by with a few exceptions, i.e. Teacher the Mermaid's scene), but you still need to spend a lot of time working on that introductory scene. Your students also need to have a strong grasp of comedy and fully understand WHY the jokes are funny. Some of the jokes land really well every single time ("and I'm sure your milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, but I'm not interested"), while other ones land like a lead paperweight because students don't "get it" themselves ("as elusive as the melody in a Philip Glass opera"). If your students tend to stick towards heavier dramatic works, I wouldn't recommend using PatS as a first foray into comedy.

And it goes without saying: If you don't have an EXCEPTIONAL male actor to play Black Stache, hold off until you do. In all of the productions I've seen, he makes or breaks the show.

------------------------------
    Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Who has done Peter and the Starcatcher?

Posted 11-29-2017 13:46

We did the show three weeks ago. Fun show, had a great cast. As far as the set, we followed the Broadway version using actors with rope to represent doors/hatches/stairs/water.

We had only one permanent set piece that was a backlit slat wall which represented the inside of the ships. Had to build a lot of props, trunks, wood crates, raft, giant leaves.

It is a long show and I think sometimes hard to follow for the audience. We advertised as a kids show with the Peter Pan theme. There is a lot of physical comedy but I know the kids did not get some of the jokes. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding the set or props.

Duane Siewert
    Set Design and Construction
    Perrysburg OH

• 5.  RE: Who has done Peter and the Starcatcher?

Posted 11-30-2017 16:50
    5az5NR6DR7ucNOxY8JFr_peter2.jpgThese a two photos of our all-girls high school production from last year. Do it!!!!eTmHvnWwQMqMpbyKynC2_Peter1.jpg

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA