Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  QLab and Vectorworks

Posted 03-19-2019 12:52
    Does anyone know of a location that shows QLab and Vectorworks are the industry standard for sound/projection and lighting design respectively?

Administration is wanting to help get this educational aspect going but needs some data to prove to the IT department Apple platform is worth the cost.

------------------------------
    David Krudwig
    Theatre Teacher Director
    Republic School District
    Republic MO

• 2.  RE: QLab and Vectorworks

Posted 03-19-2019 13:50

I am guessing that one single source is not enough. Probably the best effort might be to get a series of posts from professional forums to document it. USITT, Controlbooth.com, and others. 

Vectorworks site says they will run on Windows, and there are other pieces of software such as ShowCue System that will run on PC that strongly mirror what QLab has to offer. They could offer you a PC solution, while still offering students very relevant training and tools to use on productions. It will likely be a cost saving too, and less of an "ask" from your IT folks.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: QLab and Vectorworks

Posted 03-20-2019 09:24
    Hi David,

You might want to take a look at Wysiwyg for lighting design. It's very expensive, but it's an incredible tool. (Way better than Vectorworks, in my opinion.) They offer education multi-seat licenses that make it only very expensive rather than astronomically expensive. I had it when I was teaching and I miss it every time I approach a lighting project. Unfortunately, as a retired person, I can't afford it, but if I was still teaching, I would be working hard to get it.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 4.  RE: QLab and Vectorworks

Posted 03-21-2019 09:56
    Wysiwyg is good, but a lot of people are using Capture now. It has an easy to learn UI and great pricing for students/institutions, prices also depend on the amount of universes you are using. 

Capture is releasing a 2019 version in about a week.

Jack Cannon
    Naperville IL

• 5.  RE: QLab and Vectorworks

Posted 03-21-2019 11:23
    Try contacting sound designers of Broadway shows. Or college/university tech programs could off support. Every time I see a show in NYC I check the sound table and in the past 10 years I have seen one that did not use QLab. That's pretty good support. 
    VectorWorks seems to be the industry standard, too. It's available in PC format and it's free for students.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 6.  RE: QLab and Vectorworks

Posted 03-21-2019 12:29
    Just chiming in to recommend the PC version of Vectorworks; works great with no trouble. Instead of QLab, we used SFX, which is reasonably similar.

Meg O'Connor
    oconnormainstage.com

• 7.  RE: QLab and Vectorworks

Posted 03-23-2019 10:54
    As far as resources citing QLab and Vectorworks as standards, I can only provide course information from Southern Oregon University's Master of Theatre Studies program and personal observations.  The community theatre where I am a board member uses a 9 year old Mac Mini to build sound cues in QLab.  I've never had a Windows based computer system display that longevity of service.

In the Puget Sound area and Ashland, Oregon, every professional theatre uses QLab.  Some of my fellow students have been trying to find a windows program that has all the features of QLab, but haven't been completely successful.  That isn't to say those programs don't exist.  Rather that we haven't been able to find a program that includes audio, video and MIDI cuing (and now DMX lighting) in a single package.  As a personal Mac user already, it was easy for me to adopt.

Vectorworks is a cross platform program and is common for CAD/CAM in many industries.  If you are successful in getting a Mac lab for your students, I strongly recommend getting a mouse for each workstation that has multiple buttons.  This was recommended to me by Professor Sean O'Skea (he has a youtube channel with tutorials and links to some of his free lance designs).

Of course, the bottom line is what is best for students.  Although these programs are the overwhelming industry standards, the principles of design are the same no matter what program is used.  If the students learn to focus on their artistic intent, they will find ways to accomplish it, no matter the program in use.

Jym Kinney
    Tacoma, Washington