Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NYC Broadway show/masterclass quotes

Posted 10-29-2019 10:45
    Hello All,

Hoping someone can help. I have contacted several group booking companies to ask for quotes for our March trip to NYC. I am really looking for a Broadway (and off-Broadway) show and masterclass discounted package. We wanted to see at least 4 productions together and attend a few masterclasses without breaking the bank. The rest we will arrange ourselves (hotel, food, transportation) Any leads?

Many Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 2.  RE: NYC Broadway show/masterclass quotes

Posted 10-30-2019 06:44
    A very timely question, as I am making those phone calls this week for our trip in April for the same thing! I have used Broadway.com in the past, and that is who I plan to call today. I can usually get a master class for about $50pp, in addition to the ticket cost for the show.  If you have other outlets with better prices, I would love to hear it too! Also, what shows are you planning to see? I was considering Come from Away. Mean Girls, and something lesser known, perhaps a play or off Broadway? Thanks!!

Diana Driver
    Crozet VA

• 3.  RE: NYC Broadway show/masterclass quotes

Posted 10-31-2019 08:04
    I saw both Come From Away and Mean Girls earlier this year and have to say that Come From Away was very powerful.  The adults in our group absolutely responded to it and the kids liked the characters.  The subject matter which relates to 9/11 was not nearly as powerful for a generation of kids who didn't experience it first hand, but we followed it up with a visit to the reflecting ponds at the site of the towers and the kids really did respond to the historical context after that.  Also, the songs, staging, set, and relatable characters were a HUGE hit with everyone.  As far as Mean Girls, I have to be honest...I wasn't expecting to like it, but I did.  It is a storyline that is timeless...teenage drama.  The set and stage design were clever and the kids seemed to like it.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL

• 4.  RE: NYC Broadway show/masterclass quotes

Posted 11-04-2019 11:22
    100% agree with seeing Come From Away. Been to NYC three times in the past three years...and made a point to see it all three times even though I see other shows, too, while there. Can't imagine going to NYC without seeing it. And at a recent workshop, we had a swing from the cast teach a song and choreo. It was fantastic. The whole production team--cast, crew, creatives--are so humble and appreciative of the fans.

Veronica Stephenson
    Teacher/Director
    Enterprise AL

• 5.  RE: NYC Broadway show/masterclass quotes

Posted 11-01-2019 13:23
    If you're looking for a straight play To Kill a Mockingbird is excellent. We saw it when we were at the EdTA Conference in Sept. Powerful show. The book is studied in high school so it may be a great complement to your slate of musicals.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 6.  RE: NYC Broadway show/masterclass quotes

Posted 11-04-2019 14:51
    Broadway Inbound is a great resource to do your group tickets. They also have workshops but I have never done them with my kids. 

I avoid all the tour companies cause I don't like their upcharges

Also if you want an amazing but really budget friendly show check out The Infinite Wrench off broadway down in the east village. Definitely mature content here and there but it's non-illusory theater with 30 original 2 minute plays. Great stuff and they are like $16 a ticket. I've taken my students each of the last 4 years.

We also do a radio city music hall tour which is great. 

Also I'm taking my students to an improv show at the Upright Citizens Brigade which also will be real cheap. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I organize my trip for 40 kids with all my own efforts for approximately 400 a kid a year. (often less)

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: NYC Broadway show/masterclass quotes

Posted 11-04-2019 15:51
    Joseph,

that sounds amazing and definitely in the right price range!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA