Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seussical Jr. - Mayzie question

Posted 02-10-2015 10:42
    May I ask if/how any of you who have produced Seussical at the elementary/middle level have downplayed Mayzie's song "How Lucky You Are"?  The references to three weeks of bliss, the usual segue, off to San Juan, leaving her with the egg, have evoked some parent concerns. 

------------------------------
    Mark Middlebrooks
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 2.  RE: Seussical Jr. - Mayzie question

Posted 02-11-2015 08:27
    We produced Suessical, Jr. twice last summer in a pair of two week theatre camps.  We didn't emphasize her circumstance, but we didn't change or downplay anything either. Our camps had approximately 40 students each and were aged just finished kindergarten to just finished 8th grade.  Both Mayzie's had just finished 7th grade.  We had no issues, problems, questions, or concerns.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 3.  RE: Seussical Jr. - Mayzie question

Posted 02-12-2015 07:22

Directing the show right now in middle school.  I think the writing is already coded enough that I have no concerns.  It's already written in a way that audience members old and sophisticated enough to be "in on the joke" will get it, but I don't worry that those inclined to have a problem with such things would be any more alarmed about this than any of the other "baked in" themes, e.g. cosmetic surgery for Gertrude, etc.  It helps that they are fantasy characters and not people, and when the child is born, it's an "elephant bird" any way, (e.g. not really the product of Mayzie's "weeks of bliss."

Previously directed this show in a summer camp setting with cast members as young 10 (Mayzie was upper middle school-aged) and, not a ripple.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 4.  RE: Seussical Jr. - Mayzie question

Posted 02-13-2015 12:44

This is a great question. A friend brought her 4 year daughter to our middle school production of Seussical, Jr. and her daughter kept referring to Maizy as the "bad mommy" after the show. I don't know that she knew why she felt that way but she did. We worked to play up Horton and his character and to not make Maizy too over the top. It is like most musicals that have some adult connotations. Horton is really the key - if he is loveable and honorable the other things are not as noticeable and he is the hero.

Sarah Schaefer
    teacher
    Waukee Community Schools
    Grimes IA

• 5.  RE: Seussical Jr. - Mayzie question

Posted 02-14-2015 07:49
    The whole story of this wonderful musical is about "envy." Even the elementary kids you're working with envy others! But the true message is, in the end it's about being yourself. I directed this musical in 2012 and a mom complain about the Pillberry bush scene. She thought it was glorifying drug use. I told her, if she looks hard enough, she can find something "wrong" with any musical, even "Winnie the Pooh!" ------------------------------ SONJA HANSEN ------------------------------