Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-12-2020 07:37
    Does anyone know of a decent brand/ quality for wireless microphones ( headset)s? Where? and how can I go about purchasing some for our theatre department?

Best, 

Ms. Brandiss Seward

Miami Northwestern Senior High

Theatre Instructor

(305)836-0991  

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players,"- William Shakespeare 

• 2.  RE: wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-12-2020 08:56
    I recommend you contact B&H. Their prices and selection are competitive, and their customer service is efficient and knowledgeable. They can help you figure out the best setup for your needs.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 3.  RE: wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-12-2020 09:54
    I agree with Josh. I go to B&H for all of my audio needs and have always had a good experience working with them.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-12-2020 10:02
    Thank you guys very much! Will do!

Brandiss Seward
    Drama Teacher
    Miami Northwestern Senior High

• 5.  RE: wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-13-2020 08:49
    Nothing against B&H, I've always had good experiences with them, but Sweetwater has become my go-to for anything audio over the last few years.  They have an incredibly knowledgeable staff, competitive prices, and the best customer service I've ever had from any business.

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 6.  RE: wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-13-2020 09:08
    And nothing against either B&H or Sweetwater, but we chose to go with Full Compass. We reduced costs by only purchasing the handheld with lapel system for five wireless (none of our events really use more than five handhelds), then we bought wireless guitar systems. Since we have to purchase the micro over the ear mics for our musicals anyway, it saved a great deal of extra cost and unnecessary materials.

James Smith
    Illinois Chapter Director
    Ridgewood High School

• 7.  RE: wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-14-2020 07:41

Brandiss

Your question was for advice not for vendor info (of which I am one – one who is a regular sponsor and supporter of EdTA, ITF and ETF-JumpStart Theatre)  I deal with both Sweetwater and B&H regularly for various reasons plus Full Compass – all of these are great companies.  We like to think we are equally as good, but our concentration is specifically on School, Church and Community Theatre.

SOME ADVICE...

Which WIRELESS MICROPHONE system you choose depends on a lot of factors.

• How many systems (channels) do you need now
    • How many do you expect to need in 3-5 years (our experience is a growth of 50-100% over this period is common)
    • How "tight" is the RF space in your location - wireless mics use the unused space in the UHF  TV band and the more broadcasters that have towers with-in 50-100 miles the less frequencies will be available
    • Budget?  always a biggie

The system that is installed in more schools than any other is the Shure SLX, but in the last 3 years the system most commonly being installed is the Shure QLXD.  Senheisers ew100 and ew300 systems also have a good share of the market.

Some limits on # of channels:

• Creative CA.81 - 20 to 24 channels (3 8x receiver systems) - [$2000/8ch plus mics - $250/ch]
    • Shure BLX14R - 16-18 channels (these are single receiver units) - [$389 per channel plus mic]
    • Shure SLX14 - 20-28 channels (these are single receiver units) - [$559 per channels plus mic]
    • Shure QLXD14 - 137-220 channels (these are single receiver units) - [$973 per channel plus mic]
    • Sennheiser ew100 - 18-44 channels (these are single receiver units) - [$549 per channel plus mic]
      Sennheiser ew500 - 18-44 channels (these are single receiver units) - [4849 per channel plus mic]

We are mainly selling the Shure QLXD systems.

Please avoid the following
                     anything operating in 2.4Ghz or 5.8GHz - interferes with WiFi routers
                     anything from Pyle, GTD Audio, Audio 2000s, VocoPro and most of the Nady stuff

We specialize in providing turnkey systems - unpacked, racked up, cables and tested  - just plug in power, connect to mixer, and you are ready to go

HEADWORN MICS.

There are 2 types used in theatre

• single ear mount (commonly referred to as earsets)
    • both ear mount (commonly referred to as headsets)

The major brands are

• dpa - very expensive - $400-1,000 each
    • Countryman - $380-550 each
    • Shure ($218 up)
    • Bodymics - this is what we do - $51-150 (we sell about 10,000 a year of these to schools around the US and Canada

Feel free to call me.   

signature_1826477888

________________________________________________________________________

ROD REILLY ... PRINCIPAL

(E&OE Errors and Omissions Excepted)

........signature_113771737

bodymics, bodymics.com, bodymics.rentals

all members of the Reilly SR LLC Group

T:  908-899-1277

A:  283 Lincoln Blvd, Middlesex NJ 08846

___________________________________-___________________________________

Some of Our Own Brands

BM Audio, Creative Audio, RFdevices, Rack'D

Some of the Brands we Sell:

Shure, Sennheiser, Galaxy, CAD, dbx, JBL, QSC

Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, Midas, Presonus

• 8.  RE: wireless MIcrophones

Posted 02-14-2020 08:20
    Best thing to do is to shop around.  I suggest work with Guitar Center, specifically the GC Pro Rep fro your area.  They will give you great pricing and knowledge.

I highly recommend Shure QLXD systems.  Countryman mics are cool, but your mics need to be considered based on your production needs.  Choreography, costumes, hair, performer's ear size, etc will determine if you use a lav or ear mic.

Back to the wireless systems.  Something to largely consider is your location.  QLXD  works great for us in DC (Georgetown).  The airport and Pentagon are not far, G-town hospital is up the street, and a fire house is not too far away.  If you have huge radio traffic area QLXDs are a must.  Also, you will want to purchase the Shure UA844 Antennae Distributor and Antennae (shark fins).  Each unit can connect 5 wireless systems.  

This info was provided to me by GC partner and Shure rep the other day:  This T-Mobile and Sprint merge and 5G is taking over the airwaves.  Television stations are even having to change their frequency.  Certain mic frequencies will not work or have horrible interface as T-Mobile/Sprint 5G spreads throughout the country over the next 5-8 months.

Neptune Pringle
    Washington DC