Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter and the Starcatcher - is 22 actors way too many?

Posted 01-12-2018 02:46
    I'd really like to just cast the 12 actors as scripted, but 22 kids have come out for the play. Since this is only the 4th show of our school (we were just founded last year) we wanted to celebrate and encourage everyone who enrolled by casting them all. But as I get closer to auditions next week, I'm desperately wishing I was only going to cast 12.

Has anyone done it with more than 12? I see comments on a thread from last year that advised sticking to the 12. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - is 22 actors way too many?

Posted 01-13-2018 08:20
    Hello! We just did this show with 49 kids, and while it was a challenge, the end product was magnificent. Doing the show with the suggested doubling for 12 actors is certainly wonderful, but this show most definitely can be expanded without losing the playful sense of the script. 

I wrote a blog post for Disney Theatrical Licensing about this very idea (link below).  Feel free to drop me a line if you want to chat about this idea some more.

Good luck!

Disney Theatrical Licensing | The Benefits of Expanding 'Peter and the Starcatcher' For A Large Cast
    Disney Theatrical Licensing remove preview
    Disney Theatrical Licensing | The Benefits of Expanding 'Peter and the Starcatcher' For A Large Cast
    I'm the Theater Director at Marist School in Atlanta, Georgia. We recently produced Peter and the Starcatcher. It's a show written to be performed by about a dozen actors. We did it with 49. On purpose.
    View this on Disney Theatrical Licensing >

Eric McNaughton
    Theatre Director
    Atlanta GA
    mcnaughtone@marist.com

• 3.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - is 22 actors way too many?

Posted 01-13-2018 10:39
    We did the show last year with 12. I love getting more students on stage, but the ensemble was great with 12. I also thought it was funny to see the cast playing multiple parts. If I did the show again, I would still with 12.

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    Kansas Thespians
    Treasurer & Membership Chair
    913-481-1868

• 4.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - is 22 actors way too many?

Posted 01-13-2018 13:36
    I’ve done this. Cast the extras as pirates/ sailors in the first act. They move crates, boxes, barrels and ropes to become the “set”. They can become mermaids and part of the jungle ( trees, etc.) and the tribe members in the second act.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - is 22 actors way too many?

Posted 01-14-2018 16:41
    I definitely think Peter & the Starcatcher is expandable for a cast of 22 -- and figuring out creative ways to expand it could be an awesome artistic challenge for you and the cast.

Because you mentioned that your school and theatre program are so new, it might be helpful to think about your goals for not just this show, but future shows. If you want to do large-cast plays & musicals down the road, casting more students this year can be an investment in the future of your program. By giving them this opportunity now, you're building their skills, making it likely that you'll have a larger, more experienced pool of students auditioning for future shows.

That said, my advice would always be to listen to your gut and make whatever choice works best for you and your particular group. Best of luck with the production!

Elizabeth Berg
    Drama Teacher
    Ashland Middle School