Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wigs

Posted 09-27-2016 22:50

Does anyone know of a decent wig company where I can get men's wigs for The Crucible?

I'm only finding colonial wigs with ponytails, or long white judges wigs, but am searching more specifically for Puritan men's wigs.

------------------------------
    Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 2.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-28-2016 07:57

Try Theatrical Hairgoods.  I have rented all kinds of wigs from them at a very reasonable prices.The owner's name is Judy Disbrow and their web site is http://www.theatricalhairgoods.com/

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ

• 3.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-28-2016 08:19

I have used Sammy Dress for wigs. Great selection and very cheap! The only issue is that it can take a bit to ship since it is coming from Asia. I have used quite a few of them for shows. They have men's and women's wigs.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 4.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-30-2016 08:04

I've had great success and terrible failure ordering things from SammyDress. And they will NOT make it right if they mess up, so I would say approach that with caution.

Have you tried searching wigs for characters with similar hair rather than broad terms? Like "Gaston Wig?"

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 5.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-28-2016 09:43

Hi, Jeana,

A very good wig website is wigs.com; there are other websites one can reach via eBay.  A woman's pageboy style, or chin-length, wig (whether center- or side-parted) should do the trick.  You'd want various lengths to make those Puritan dudes look more natural, of course!  Good brand names (and not expensive) with which I have worked are Sepia and Motown Tress.  Happy hunting!

Joanne

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 6.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-28-2016 10:25

Vogue wigs has been a good resource for me. I have not needed men's wigs, however.

https://www.voguewigs.com/ssearch?q=men

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 7.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-29-2016 09:19

I've had quite a bit of success on Amazon and Ebay.  You have to be picky with your search, but you can find some great items.  Especially the cosplay items on Ebay - high quality and variable prices to meet different budgets.

Abra Chusid
    Theatre Director
    Buffalo Grove IL

• 8.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-29-2016 09:21
    I used clip in hair pieces when I did it two years ago that could blend into the guys hair as we were not allowed to grow it with our dress code.  Got most of them at Sally Beauty Supply. Then I used powdered wigs for courtroom. The link will take you to some photos.  

http://www.jesuitnola.org/co-curriculars/philelectic-society/philelectic-society-galleries/philelectic-society-the-crucible-nov-14-22-2014/

Hope this helps!
    Kate Arthurs-Goldberg, M.A.
    Jesuit Philelectic Society

• 9.  RE: Wigs

Posted 09-30-2016 11:11

I love love love Outfitters Wig in Hollywood. They have a great selection ranging from $49 and up, and do custom styles starting at $79. As long as it's not crazy complicated and/or a very unusual color, the customs I've had made were $79. And honestly, most wig rentals start at around $80. So why not buy it and have it forever to reuse for $80? I live local to the shop, so I've never had to have something shipped, but I do know that they ship orders and I'm sure shipping fee would be reasonable.

Also, if you really need to go the cheap route, Amazon can be hit or miss. But if we're mainly talking men in pony tails and page boys, I think you could fudge it with some cheap women's wigs from there.

Best of luck wig hunting!

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA