Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Booster Groups

Posted 04-29-2019 10:10
    Hi 

I am reaching out to see if anyone has experience with Booster groups. I am interested in the things that should be included in bylaws. As well as any negatives or positives that you can share. I have some parents interested in starting one and I am looking for advice from teachers before moving forward.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Ellen O'Reilly-LaSalle
    Dighton Rehoboth Regional High School

• 2.  RE: Booster Groups

Posted 04-29-2019 11:18
    While I don't have a booster club myself I'd bet your district has a lot of the information you're looking for; along with the requirements you'll need to follow. Have you checked with your school's band or dance department? They probably already have one in place and can give you info on how it works with the parents in your community.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Booster Groups

Posted 04-29-2019 11:55
    Hi
    I do have local information. I am looking for things that are important from a Drama teacher's point of view. For example, has anyone had a booster group try to get involved with artistic decisions?

Thank you!

Ellen O'Reilly-LaSalle
    Dighton Rehoboth Regional High School

• 4.  RE: Booster Groups

Posted 04-30-2019 05:37
    I personally don’t have a booster group, but our school has a booster group for the music program. At times I can see they have beneficial however both the current band and choir teacher (new to the school - and the booster group has been here for over 20 years) have had very difficult times working with them. They do try to make decisions (including the president wanting to be in on interviews of new teachers) and are often very difficult when it comes to actually giving back the money they have raised. They often feel it’s their decision how $ should be spent rather than letting the directors decide .... I personally think the root of the problem may be that many of the people who are now in charge of the boosters were once students in the program and trying to keep things the way they have always been ... so... all problems that would not necessarily impact you but could show up down the road. Because of all this I have never allowed parents to create such a group for my program... I’d rather do it myself than have to jump through the hoops I’ve seen the last few music teachers have to deal with.

Toni Thomas
    English & Theatre Teacher & Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Booster Groups

Posted 05-02-2019 17:04
    I had a phenomenal booster club at my last school and just got one started at my new school. It's wonderful to not have to wait for the school to pay for certain things and never worry about concessions or anything.

I have never had a bad experience with parents trying to take over, and the only goal any of them have ever had was to do what I needed to have a successful show. My friend has a nightmare parent though that thinks her daughter should be the lead (and by lead, she means the ingenue only) in everything and hates every show choice. I honestly think those parents are more the exception than the rule, but they can take up so much of your energy when they do pop up. You can write language into the bylaws that membership in the booster club does not guarantee casting or leadership positions for the student, nor does it imply artistic control or influence.

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA