Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME

Posted 07-10-2019 22:27
    Hello All!

I'm planning on doing THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME this fall, but I was wondering, from those of you who've produced the play, how did you handle the language? Were you successful in requesting permission to tame it? I've heard some directors were granted to use bloody instead of f*%#$. I look forward to reading what your experiences were. 

Thank you,
    Z

------------------------------
    Zachary W. Magan
    Theatre Director
    Elk Grove CA

• 2.  RE: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME

Posted 07-13-2019 12:59
    I am interested, too!  Please share!
    Thank you,
    Sonja Brown

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 3.  RE: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME

Posted 07-15-2019 07:29
    I emailed and asked to take out the F word and other curse words. They granted permission in an email.

Sharon Chadwick
    Theatre Director
    Henderson NV

• 4.  RE: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME

Posted 07-15-2019 11:14
    Yes, thank you! For anyone interested, I emailed nonpro@dramatists.com and asked for the removal or alteration of language. I had read in past post, on EdTA, to be very specific. In my email, I stated the page and word I was wanting to remove or alter. They emailed me back the following day, giving me permission.

Zachary Magan
    Theatre Director
    Elk Grove CA

• 5.  RE: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME

Posted 07-16-2019 08:21
    What a beautiful and impactful show!  We just did The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time for our fall play in November.  It was a joy to direct!  Initially, I had planned to keep the language in the show, thinking mostly high schoolers would be cast in the play. However, I ended up with several middle schoolers in the play (who were exceptionally talented), but the amount of swear words felt larger with the younger kids on stage.

I made a phone call to Dramatist Play Services and explained our situation and asked what could be done to tone down the language.  Very quickly they were able to give me permission to remove the words "shit" and "fuck" - but no others.  As a cast we met and went over the script, discussing the purpose of each use of "shit" and "fuck" in the play and how it affected the dramatic moment.  Then we voted on whether we felt each one was necessary or if we could portray the true intention of the moment with acting choices without the swear word.  We probably cut the amount in half in the end.

An example a moment that the cast & I felt that a word was necessary was in scene 22 when Ed hits Christopher.  We felt it was vital Ed say "What the fuck am I going to do with you?" which comes a few moments before Ed hits Christopher.  We felt that this father, grappling with his own frustration would turn to <g class="gr_ gr_2683 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="2683" data-gr-id="2683">swearing</g> before he would turn to <g class="gr_ gr_2684 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="2684" data-gr-id="2684">hitting</g> his son.

Also I have heard an abridged version exists - I have NO EXPERIENCE with this version, but it is an Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incident-Dog-Night-Time-Abridged-ebook/dp/B07QG34HC9

I hope this helps - best of luck!

Exit Stage Right, Becky Beth Benedict

[Becky Beth [Benedict]
    [Theater Teacher, Director & Arts Dept Chair]
    [The MacDuffie School
    [Granby] [MA]

• 6.  RE: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME

Posted 07-17-2019 09:47
    For those who have directed the show, how many actors did you have in the cast? Our productions have more females audition and was wondering what are the possibilities.

Many thanks!

Jordan Fox
    Theater Faculty
    Los Angeles CA