Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-20-2020 12:22
    We open Shrek March 6, and the dragon we had planned on just fell through. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations of where I can buy or rent a dragon at this short notice. Feel free to email me directly chris.piner@uintah.net
    Just another bump in the road, right? I know some theatre magic will kick in, but in the meantime...

------------------------------
    Christopher Piner
    Drama Teacher/director
    Vernal UT

• 2.  RE: Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-20-2020 12:27
    While I don't have a lead on a specific place to rent where you are, I'd recommend checking with your local puppetry community. They may be able to suggest something close to you.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-21-2020 08:20

We used some deep red huge wings...and our actress had a leather jacket black dress and black tights/leather tights.
    She looked COOL. (With a little face paint.) Her vocals were killer, and this worked for her!

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 4.  RE: Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-21-2020 11:51
    Erika is on to something...  unless you have contacts on the other side of hte mountains over at the Y or something...
    I would suggest thinking more broadly about costumes is the way to go.  YOu can get wings or a bunch of cool cloth sent quickly and get a sewing queen to help you get to the finish line.

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 5.  RE: Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-21-2020 17:31
    I do love this idea! She already has an awesome dragon-esque costume. She needs wings like these and we can just use her!

Christopher Piner
    Drama Teacher/director
    Vernal UT

• 6.  RE: Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-22-2020 22:40
    We did the same thing with wings and a dragon hat from Amazon.  It was amazing and allowed the actor to better interact with the other actors on stage.

Amanda Dierking
    Minneola Charter School
    Middle Grades Theatre Director
    Troupe 89587 Director
    ❤️Team Amistad-House of Friendship❤️
    Under Florida's "Public Records" law, absent a specific exclusion, written communications to or from Lake School District employees are considered public records. E-mail communication with this correspondent may be subject to public and media disclosure upon request.

• 7.  RE: Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-21-2020 12:31
    Hi, Christopher (and Shira)--

Great idea to connect with local puppetry community!  Try the good folks of teh Puppetry Arts Guild of Utah (www.utahpuppetry.com) or Puppets in the City (www.puppetsinthecity.org). Back up: Puppet Players of Salt Lake City: www.puppetplayers.com.

Reach out to me directly if you need more options!

Best,
    Aretta

Aretta Baumgartner
    Education Director
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    Atlanta, GA
    www.puppet.org
    arettabaumgartner@puppet.org

• 8.  RE: Desperately Seeking a Dragon

Posted 02-21-2020 17:33
    This is an awesome connection. I had never even heard of them before. I love puppetry in theatre. Thank you for the contacts!

Christopher Piner
    Drama Teacher/director
    Vernal UT